wireless router without antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

zr2d2

Baseband Member
I received a wireless router, but I only have a wired network. The wireless router has more features than my current router. If I take the antennas off of the wireless router, will it stop transmitting a wireless signal?

no it will just not send them as far, go ahead and set it up put in the ssid and use a 128 wep encryption key... without the key no one should be able to get access to it...

On most of the home-use gateway/routers, you can configure it not to broadcast the SSID.

In the three different wireless router/switch/firewalls I've had, you can turn off the wireless radio completely - effectively just making it a router/switch/firewall. I'd be surprised if you can't. If you care to see an example, browse to the Linksys WRT45GS User Guide in PDF format. Look at page 21 (The real page 21 as printed on the page; it's also page 28 of 100 as reported by Adobe Acrobat Reader). In the basic wireless settings, I can set the Wireless Network Mode to Mixed (both G and B), G only, B only, or Disable. Disable shuts off the wireless radio and the wireless network is not there. My old Netgear wireless had a similar feature in a different place. I'd be surprised if yours didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom