Wireless router....Interconnecting PCS????

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneeb83

In Runtime
So I'm really new at networking
I have managed to connect all my laptops to the wireless router
I've got 3
The DSL cable is also connected to the router
and I can acsess the net from all the computers
Now I have no Idea how to put the computers in one single workgroup or even how to share files between them or how to play games etc etc.....need Serious help!!!
The router Has 4 Lan ports and one DSL port and One wireless antenna supporting up to 11 devices

One is on Vista 64 bit and the other 2 are on XP 32 bit......Y does this matter?

Still don't get it Hef. I haven't read that article yet but i have my Vista Ultimate laptop and XP Pro desktop and they communicate just fine. Make sure they are in the same workgroup, make sure you properly setup the network on the Vista machine (couple more options you have to select) and tada, i was sharing files back and forth no problem.

Hef is right though, it is a different 'monster' when dealing with Vista and another other OS.

Once they are in the same workgroup you can get them to talk just fine. The article also has a download for xp which allows all computers to show up in my network places in all computers which can make it a bit easier for inexperienced networker.

Ok...I went through the artical as u told....Buh It doesn't say any thing about connecting 2 XPs or seeing any sort of the network map on XP??....If Xp has no network map then how do I make the 2 xp computers communicate??:confused:

on the xp machines look in my network places / view workgroup computers for the other computers in the network.

You will want to share the drives or folders that you want the other computers to have access to.

Ok....I went into the network places and then clicked on "veiw workgroup computers"....But I got some kind of error Saying:

Workgroup is not acessable, you might not have permission to use this resource. contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have acsess permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently availible.....

Now What do I do!!!!:eek:

For the xp machines turn on file and print sharing.
Then see if they will communicate with each other.

Install File and Print Sharing and make sure that it is not blocked by Windows Firewall
Step 1: Install File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
3. Click the General tab, and then click Install.
4. Click Service, and then click Add.
5. In the Network Service list, click File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and then click OK.
6. Click Close.

Step 2: Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is not blocked by Windows Firewall

1. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, make sure that the Don't allow exceptions check box is not selected.
3. Click the Exceptions tab.
4. On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom