Wireless Router Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyo

Solid State Member
Help please!!!!

Right i tried to secure my wireless network using WPA. But after configuring the router. my internal wireless network wont connect to it or recognise the router full stop. the card itself is working fine because it picks up other networks ok. so i tried reinstalling the router in the hope that it would be back to a default setting but i cant even do that either because i need my wireless network card to recognise the router during installation to configure it.

My router is an Actiontec 54mpbs cable/dsl router and my wireless card is a Ralinkrt2500 wireless lan card which i cant update from the website because i cant find it!!!

Thanks in advance!!

What exactly did you change on the routers configuration. perhaps it was IP related? If so, you might have disallowed your PC to get a valid IP to the router and therefore block its internet connection entirely.

Tell us what you changed. What it was set to before, what is different now. Maybe then we can help more in reducing your problem to an easy solution.

What exactly did you change on the routers configuration. perhaps it was IP related? If so, you might have disallowed your PC to get a valid IP to the router and therefore block its internet connection entirely.

Tell us what you changed. What it was set to before, what is different now. Maybe then we can help more in reducing your problem to an easy solution.

it was in the wpa settings box which wasn't set, and i also changed the channel name from actiontec to davyo!!!

make sure your wireless reciever is wpa capable mine was only wep capable so i borught a nice netgear one

Try using the router's hard reset button. There should be one on the router somewhere to restore it back to factory defaults, start over and try again perhaps. Hold down for a few secs then release, it should power cycle.

I've seen this happen many times before. Chances are the wireless card in your PC isn't WPA compatible. Try searching the internet to see if there are any updates for the driver, sometimes that helps.

WEP is extremely easy to hack, it is an old kind of encryption where as WPA is much newer

Yes, WPA is far superior for encryption. However, if it's all he has available, WEP should serve his purpose well enough, or he can upgrade if he's that worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom