Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzley

Beta member
HOME NETWORK.
It is setup as follows:
Cable Modem ---> Linksys Wireless Router ----> 3 PC's + another router
The other router is running to 2 PC's

Also, I have a wireless booster that allows my kids to access the internet via laptops (wireless) in their bedrooms.

What I am wanting to do is block the kids laptops from accessing the "shared files" on the above mentioned 4 PC's. Since they have wireless access and the 4 PC's share files, I do not know how to block them from accessing the shared files. Not sure if I should do it by using MAC addresses or IP, but the IP's change every so often.

The wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GSV4 and is running Tomato Version 1.27 firmware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hmm, not up on tomato but couldn't you setup different workgroups for their computers, thus they can't get on to the shares on the other 4?

Its been a while since i've done any thingt like that though.

Also what OS's?

And welcome to the forum.

Simply disable "simple file sharing" on the kids laptops if they don't need to access "shared folders".

or: (if they do need some acceess)

on the 'shared' folders you'll need to remove the "everyone" group from the securities tab (ACL).
Add only the allowed users to access the folders.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
The OS is Vista Home

I was hoping that there would be a setting or rule I could add to the router or a firewall. The reason is, sometimes other kids come over and do homework, group study, etc. Because it is the same kids usually, I could eventually get all of their MAC's but I can't alter their PC's (well, I could... but I don't want to be "that guy", you know?) .

Brady, nice idea... Just share with the 4 PC's that need to share which would exclude all others. Lots of files to repremission though, but if that's what it takes.....

wouldn't necessarily re-permission the files. just consolidate the shares and share 1 folder w/ appropriate permissions.

if you wanted to really dig into the router to do this, you might be able to VLAN your router into an alternate segment and disable access across the 2... however you will remove your own access in the process.

(not sure if that router will vlan or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom