Wireless router and DHCP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamsalvation

Baseband Member
My workplace has a wireless network set up for a couple of offices(wired) and people to use their laptops(wirelessly) on. Today everything seemed to go downhill for the network. No one could connect wirelessly and when it finally did let them connect they received the lovely Limited or No connectivity issue. I pulled the router out (a linksys WRT54GC), unplugged it waiting 2 minutes and plugged it back in. Same problems. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and hit the reset switch on the back of the router. Same problems. So I finally went into the settings and set the router back to factory defaults. This fixed the issues for about 5 minutes, 3 people managed to connect wirelessly and get an ip address. After that anyone that tried to connect got limited or no connectivity again. There are 10 computers on a switch connected to the router and none of these wired computers have these issues. The wireless has run completely fine for the last year untill today? I turned off several laptops and reset the router to the same effect. Looking at the router DHCP listings it appears to give the laptops an IP address on the network but then disconnected the laptops and will not let them use the address it has issued in the DHCP logs. Has the wireless chip on the router gone a little flaky? I cant really set up static IPs across the whole network as a lot of employees come and go and use their laptops on all kinds of wireless networks.

Anyone have any suggestions? The router is running the newest firmware update btw.

Thanks

That is what I was afraid of. I looked at the switch when I was working on the router and it only showed that 10 computers were turned on. Router was set up to be able to give out 100 IPs. When I shut it down it would start issuing again at .101... I just find it wierd that the 3 laptops that managed to connect, 2 stayed connected and had no issues but the other one lost signal and then had the connectivity issue.

Anyone able to suggest a very good wireless router? N would be fine as at this time it will only be broadcasting on a G band, just need something with some good power and range.

So your in the market for a new router? Linksys has some awesome choices, along with motorola. If it's signal strength however, your looking at both ends. First a good router to send out the strong signal and the wireless adapter to take advantage of it.

Pre-N is something around 700ft(I may be wrong) of range and 4x the strength of G and such. So, if you have the money and the time, go with N routers, they offer the best range that i know of and are, unfortunately the most expensive. Now, the coverage and range of N is another thing,even with a pre N router and the two wireless adapters, your laptops may recieve the signal, but not the speed, so, unless your not concerned with the speed then your fine.

Some reccomendations would be : Linksys, Netgear or Belkin.

Well, the business will be paying for the router so price is not a factor. I just need something with a good range on the G band. I love Linksys but this router is only about a year old.

`okay, you said G band, so you want to keep it wireless G, Linksys or netgear. You could check and see the megabits that it can transfer at for a better idea(average is about 58, you want 108). If you stay G, then you won't have to worry about changing any of your pre-existing hardware.

Hardware isn't always going to be reliable, its just a matter of manufacturer and the user. Sure it can go a year without fail but it's still pretty much capable of dieing on you.

Lol, I understand. So everyone's bet is that the router is starting to have some issues? I have never seen one that had as many problems as this ones does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom