Wireless Router/Adapter help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret

Solid State Member
3 computers:
Main (desktop, where the router is plugged into the modem), XP
Second (desktop), XP - uses a USB adapter
Third (laptop), Vista - uses a network card I think (no USB adapter anyway)

Will be eventually connecting xbox live through this wirelessly, and a printer in the future too. Besides that, only function is for the internet connection.

Price limit for the router is under <$100, we don't do file sharing from computer to computer so as far as I know we don't need a super fast router, right.. so <$100 is a reasonable budget? Whatever router we get I'd like to have the same company of USB adapter, compatible with that router of course.

I'm completely new to all of this networking stuff, we were told we need a new router from our ISP. Ideally I'd like to learn how to set all of this stuff up myself instead of paying somebody else to do it. Comcast is ISP.

Are you sure your ISP didn't say you need a new Modem?

Under a 100 dollars is totally doable, as routers usually run from 40 to 60 bucks online. I don't think you need to worry about getting the same model USB adapter as router, there really isn't a compatability issue here. The USB adapter is just connecting to the signal, so as long as it can read the signal protocal (wireless B, A, G, N, whatever) you will be fine. As for the router I would get a wireless G, N is still pretty expensive at the moment. And even though you may have older adapters, the G router will be backwards compatable (meaning you can broadcast older protocal signals if needed).

Here are a few models you could use. I'd suggest D-Link.
Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-615 IEEE 802.11n (draft) IEEE 802.11g IEEE 802.11b IEEE 802.3 IEEE 802.3u Wireless Router - Wireless Routers
Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-628 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft RangeBooster N Dual Band Router - Wireless Routers

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom