Wireless questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I'm moving soon, so I'll be setting up an interesting network. I'll enjoy the challenge.

The house is huge, so I'll have the rec room (three computers)

the studio (one computer) The living room (two computers)

These computers are all over the house. No chance of cabling them together. Way to far apart. Wireless? The walls probably block the signal.

Hybrid? Ftw.

I have the Cable modem and the Router/AP down in the rec room which takes care of the majority of the computers.

I'll have the two computers in the living room connect to a wireless AP halfway, so it can boost the signal. I don't want to get both of them wireless cards, so is it possible to plug ethernet cables into the AP, and have the AP amplify it to the router?

I'll cable the studio computer to the router in the rec room.

So no drilled holes, no cables all over the place, and very low cost.

Please keep in mind that I do not know the exact hardware requirements for this. This is just a general idea.

I'm trying to make this work though, so any suggestions are helpful.

The biggest task is getting the living room computers to connect to the router which is down in the rec room. Now... those two computers are Mac's.. so before you say, "Just go buy three wireless cards". Those wireless cards are expensive. Very expensive. The living room and the rec room are on opposite sides of the house as well, so the walls will probably block the signal. So if I can at least get them halfway, I think it can make it.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Constructive criticism? :p

first of all before you go buying all this stuff, make sure that the router will not reach to all the computers. I didn't think it would cover my house but it does and it even goes outside.

The reason why I would buy an access point, is so that the two computers in the living room would not have to get wifi cards.

If they could both plug into the AP, and the AP would broadcast their signal to the router, that would be ultimate.

Is this a house you own or are you renting? If you own the house I would reccomend spending the money to run cable. You could put a switch in the locations that have multiple computers so you would only have to run one wire. If you are renting your plan should suffice.

Location 1 ))Repeater--Cat5-->Switch

}}>2Access Point <{{ - cat5-->switch

Location 3 ))Repeater--Cat5-->Switch

*Cat5 all in small lengths

Get 3 swtches same brand and/or models
1 - you set as access point
2&3 - set as repeater

hook all of them with cables to the switch/pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom