Wireless Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

2perfect

Solid State Member
I have a few problems with my wireless network and my routers.

The PC's using the network are 1 wireless B laptop, 2 wireless G laptops, and 1 desktop PC. One of the G laptops uses a Broadcom wireless driver.

My Wireless B Linksys (BEFW11S4 v4) router works fine, for the most part. There are just days (not very often, like once a month) where it disconnects every 10 minutes.

We switched to Wireless G D-Link (DI-524) and it works fine for the wireless B laptop, the desktop, and one of the wireless G laptop most of the time.

For the other wireless G laptop, I'm lagging all the time even with just minimal use of the internet. When all 3 laptops are used for gaming/downloading/etc, the laptops start lagging badly. I don't know if the Desktop lags too.

So I bought a Wireless G Linksys (WRT54G v6). It works fine for all the computers, no lags. The only problem is the 3 laptops get disconnected every few hours, around 3 times a day. I don't know for sure if the wired computer gets disconnected as well, but when I tried to hook one of the laptops to the router, it did not disconnect when the laptops did. Also, once again, when all 3 laptops are used for gaming/downloading/etc, the laptops start lagging badly. Once again I don't know if the Desktop lags too.

I updated to the latest firmware and it still disconnects. However I haven't tried simultaneously gaming/downloading on all 3 laptops after updating the firmware.

Perhaps having a mixed (b/g) network is causing the problem? Maybe I'm using up too much bandwidth or something (don't even know what that means haha) or too many connections? HELP!

My ISP is shaw cable, if that helps.
=================
I'm a total newbie so you're probably gonna have to explain things thoroughly. If you have a solution for the D-Link or the Linksys, please reply. Right now I'm using the B to post here.

As far as the laptops disconnecting every couple of hours or so, look in the power scheme settings (found in control panel) to see if there is an option where the wireless controller shuts off after a certain amount of time with no user interaction.

With the lag issue, I would try to see if you can re-create the situation, to see if the desktop is lagging also. If it is, it could be that the combined bandwidth of the PC's are using up all of your available bandwidth from your ISP.

Also make sure that there is no obstructions blocking the signal of the wireless signal, and most importantly...avoid using anything that gives off a 2.4Ghz wireless signal, such as a video game controller, or telephones.

To: Ethereal_Dragon
I didn't find any setting in the power scheme settings that relates to the wireless. I think it's probably with the Linksys router because that D-link and the linksys B don't disconnect.

And yeah, the Desktop is lagging too, so I'm guessing you're right about using up all the available bandwidth. I'll probably stick with the wireless B.
==================
To: talldude123
All 3 routers are 2.4Ghz and we have 2 cordless phones that are also 2.4Ghz. The Wireless B router works. The problem only occurs with the Wireless G routers.
==================
To: Law
How do I go about doing that? And what does it do? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Which router are you currently using? I'll take a look into it, see if I could come up with anything else beside changing the C/F.

Might want to give me the model and version, plus the current firmware version too.

Right now I'm using a Linksys wireless B (BEFW11S4 v4) Firmware Version: 1.52.02

However it is working fine and I don't need any fixing for it.

The 2 wireless G routers (the ones that I'm having problems with) are:
DI-524 and WRT45G, both with the latest official firmware

Try using one of the G router, and change the channel/frequency, plus you might want to disable any wireless security just for the moment. Just to test it out, then enable the security one at a time.

Like enable WEP 64bit and test it out, see if all cards support it (they should), thenn go a little higher like WEP 128 bit, then WPA v1 TKIP. I'm pretty sure WPAv1 TKIP is the max you can get.

2perfect said:

To: talldude123
All 3 routers are 2.4Ghz and we have 2 cordless phones that are also 2.4Ghz. The Wireless B router works. The problem only occurs with the Wireless G routers.

Both the 802.11b & 802.11g standards use the 2.4 GHz frequency... Make sure that the router itself isn't near the source of any other appliances that use the same frequency. The cordless phones obviously do, and also, so do Microwave ovens, baby monitors. Not that this may be the issue, just good practice to keep the router in an area without interference from said devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom