Wireless Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattxperience

Beta member
Good day, everyone.

I am new here, and joined to get an answer to a problem that I've had for the past few days. I can't find a solution anywhere...

I have 2 laptops, both use internet through wireless connections. One of those laptops is able to connect as always, but the other one (an HP, on Windows 7) is able to connect, but I am getting a "no internet access" message with a yellow exclamation point. So I figure it is something to do with that particular laptop, since my other one connects as usual (which I am on now, writing this message).

It would be much appreciated if I could get some assistance in rectifying this problem. A huge thanks in advance to anybody who tries to help me.

Do an IP release / renew.

On the windows 7 PC click the windows icon and type cmd in the search field.
Start the cmd application
Type ipconfig /release
Wait a few moments for the command to complete then type
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't get you a new IP from the router the credentials you supplied are probably wrong. Meaning you could have typed the WPA / WEP security code wrong. Disconnect from the network, remove it from your list of preferred access points then add it back. It should prompt you for the passcode again. Type it in.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried this, the commands completed, but it unfortunately did not fix the problem.

I'm a bit illiterate when it comes to computers, so I'm having trouble deciphering what you are asking me.

Did it give me a valid IP in the range that the router is giving? I don't know... when I typed the ipconfig /release part, it listed the following:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: (this was blank)
Link-local IPv6 Address: (something was here, a code of numbers and letters)
Default Gateway: (this was blank)

And when I typed in the ipconfig /renew, it listed the following:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: (this was blank)
Link-local IPv6 Address: (a code of numbers and letters)
IPv4 Address: (a 10-digit code)
Subnet Mask: (a different 10-digit code)
Default Gateway: (an 8-digit code)

But still no access to internet. Something worth mentioning though, as soon as I put these commands in, the yellow exclamation point disappears for a few seconds, which makes it seem like it is going to work, but then it appears again, and the internet does not work.

looks like you arent getting an ip from the router - something that is req for internet access.

Plz follow the second part of my original post:

If that doesn't get you a new IP from the router the credentials you supplied are probably wrong. Meaning you could have typed the WPA / WEP security code wrong. Disconnect from the network, remove it from your list of preferred access points then add it back. It should prompt you for the passcode again. Type it in.

Must be the router then, make sure it doesn't have something setup like MAC filtering which only allows certain MAC addresses to join the network.

If you aren't computer savvy you may need to ask for advice on how to verify that. Is this your network?

Nope, its not my network. I live in an extremely small and secluded community in northern canada. The whole community gets wireless internet from the same router, the same source.

The internet was working fine on that particular computer for months and months. Only 5 days ago did it start acting this way. And like I said, I'm currently on a laptop that is connected to internet through this router. And everybody elses is working fine. Which is why I think it is something specific going wrong with my other laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom