Wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was enabled by the ISP, since you and your parents probably did not from the sound of it. It is the standard today, and new routers use WPA2, so if you see that option sometime (whether with this router or another one) use WPA2. If WPA2 is not an option on your router, then WPA will be just fine. ;)

Glad to hear you are all set, mate. :D

It was enabled by the ISP, since you and your parents probably did not from the sound of it. It is the standard today, and new routers use WPA2, so if you see that option sometime (whether with this router or another one) use WPA2. If WPA2 is not an option on your router, then WPA will be just fine. ;)

Glad to hear you are all set, mate. :D

WPA-PSK2 is actually an option so I'll change it to that :) Thank you.

Glad it's more secure, that's always a plus ,don't however appreciate them doing it without telling us ;-) I'll still ring them up Tuesday (bank holiday here in Ireland) and give out, and at least now I'll have some idea what I'm talking about :)

Thanks again

Well they did you a favor in my opinion. Anyway, WPA2 is different. That is not the same thing. WPA2 is 128-bit encryption and I believe WPA is 64-bit.

I agree they did do you a favor. And they probably couldn't have called the thousand or so customers to tell them about the update.

Oldskool - when i read his post i took it has he changed the encryption to WPA because he couldn't use WEP, but then he didn't change the connection settings on the wireless laptop - so essentially the whole reason he couldn't connect was because WPA was being used on the router and he was stil ltrying to use WEP with his old key.

Glad we could help, hope everything goes well. I would still password protect your router and hide the SSID.

Hi guys,

am afraid my problem has reared it's ugly head again. The router is broadcasting the signal but when I try to connect straight away a window pops up saying "windows was unable to connect to network x". I troubleshooted the problem and it said that it was a problem with the router itself and to do the usual plug it out, wait 10 seconds, plug it in, wait for the lights and try again but still no joy. Wired connection is working away fine, again it's just the wireless. On my Nokia N95 it doesn't even go so far as to let me enter the WPA key, it just says "Cannot connect to WLAN. WPA Authentication required."

I agree they did do you a favor. And they probably couldn't have called the thousand or so customers to tell them about the update.

Oldskool - when i read his post i took it has he changed the encryption to WPA because he couldn't use WEP, but then he didn't change the connection settings on the wireless laptop - so essentially the whole reason he couldn't connect was because WPA was being used on the router and he was stil ltrying to use WEP with his old key.

Glad we could help, hope everything goes well. I would still password protect your router and hide the SSID.

I'm a she by the way ;-)
Last time I once I realised they had switched to WPA authentication I did change the settings on my laptop, but they had actually changed the network key as well. When I logged into the router, I was able to change this password and then it all worked okay.

Before, when I was able to log into the router, the password and username were actually blank however I'm not even able to get onto that now because it's no longer accepting the blank username or password. I didn't password protect the router (please don't give out, I already know myself this was a mistake).

I would ring the IPS themselves, but we're in a small town :-\ and they don't open or provide support at weekends. In other words still in the 20th century :-\

I don't suppose anyone has any further ideas?

Yep, if you can find a pinhole like patonb said, just stick a paper clip in there and hold it in for a few seconds and it will set you back to factory settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom