wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's most likely a DNS issue right there if you can ping the IP address but not the URL. do ipconfig /all and check that you have a correct DNS server.

Try this also, enter that IP address on step 3 into your web browser URL, see what happens.

dns server is correct and if i type the ip address in step 3 into the browser it says cannot find search page

Ok..are you sure step 3 works than? Because if step 3 works when you ping, you should be able to access google webpage by just entering 216.239.51.99 into the URL. Unless there's a firewall or you have a bad browser, is your web browser or computer configured to connect to a proxy server?

You need a working DNS server to ping www.google.com

Is the DNS server pointing to the router? or the ISP DNS server? You might want to give use the results of ipconfig /all.

Try pinging the DNS server if it's not the router, some router do DNS forwarding, sometime this could cause issue. The DNS server you really are using might be your ISP.

*EDIT*

Try these IP address, ping them first, see if they work, and enter them into the browser.

What country are you from?

Law said:
Ok..are you sure step 3 works than? Because if step 3 works when you ping, you should be able to access google webpage by just entering 216.239.51.99 into the URL. Unless there's a firewall or you have a bad browser, is your web browser or computer configured to connect to a proxy server?

You need a working DNS server to ping www.google.com

Is the DNS server pointing to the router? or the ISP DNS server? You might want to give use the results of ipconfig /all.

Try pinging the DNS server if it's not the router, some router do DNS forwarding, sometime this could cause issue. The DNS server you really are using might be your ISP.

*EDIT*

Try these IP address, ping them first, see if they work, and enter them into the browser.

What country are you from?

i am from south africa if i type those three ip address into my browser i get to the google home page

but if i type www.google.co.za or www.google.com it does not bring up the page

You are having a DNS problem, are you really sure that you have the correct DNS server or that the DNS server that you have is working?

ok i just noticed on the working pcs it has dhcp enabled and on the laptop that doesnt work it has dhcp disabled is this the problem? how do i enable dhcp

thanks its working now

but i have noticed in my adsl usage page that it says i have sent 1 gig of in formation and only downloaded 100 mbs what could be causing it to send so much info? i have not sent or uploaded much. and now i will be hitting my 3 gig cap very soon at this rate

What sort of things do you do online? Keep in mind that when you visit webpages, there is information going accross the link.... Online games as well send info...

Are you in the UK? Just wondering, because all of the ISP's I have seen that limit usage like that are in the UK.

psydesign said:
thanks its working now

but i have noticed in my adsl usage page that it says i have sent 1 gig of in formation and only downloaded 100 mbs what could be causing it to send so much info? i have not sent or uploaded much. and now i will be hitting my 3 gig cap very soon at this rate

That I don't know, it's up to you to find out. It could be another computer on your network downloading something like updates or playing an online game. If you have a wireless network, maybe someone is using it that you don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom