Wireless printer doesn't find SSID

mwwwilson

In Runtime
This is driving me totally nuts!

My friend decided to do the Windows 10 upgrade, from 8.1, and the printer stopped working. So he decided that he needed a new printer anyhow and bought an HP Deskjet 2542 wireless printer. He calls me asking why his new printer won't work with Windows 10.

So I go to his house and do my thing. I deleted the printer and software out of the pc and started from scratch. The instructions asked to first plug the printer into the pc using usb connection. Well I did and nothing... it didn't initiate or recognize the printer. Which in turn wouldn't give me the NEXT button (dimmed out).

Decided to use the USB port in the back of the computer and start over and it recognized it finally. The front USB works with everything else but not for the printer. WEIRD.

So I next through the install until it gets to the point of attempting to detect a network to go wireless. It won't detect the SSID, it finds nothing. I choose to manually input the SSID and it won't recognize it. SSID is belkin.3a49 - it doesn't find it during a scan and won't accept it manually.

The broadcast option is ON for the SSID in the router settings. In fact, all other devices in the house detect the SSID but the printer.

I read somewhere that HP wireless printers may not be compatible with older routers??? The Belkin router is an N router and everything, including his Samsung Smart TV, detects the SSID.

What am I not checking or doing wrong? This doesn't make much since to me. The printer is brand new but probably a bit old as for latest models. I actually read the directions word for word and read every line of every instruction on the install software. Checked for software updates online. Checked the router settings. Shut off McAfee Firewall protection and Realtime Scanning.

This guy stated that he would buy a new router if he needed to. But will that make any difference? I don't want him to buy a new router and still not have this work.

Sorry for the book... just wanted to be thorough. Seems like all my posts are books.

Suggestion?
Thanks,
Mark W.

HP's web site doesn't show support for Windows 10 on that model, just Windows 8.1 which was added April of 2014. That doesn't mean it won't work, but... it's a cheap printer, so I wouldn't expect much from it.

That being said, make sure the wireless is turned on like in #2 below. (I know, it's basic, but it's missed even by the pros sometimes :)). If the WiFi light isn't flashing, then it's off. If it's solid, it should be connected to the WiFi already. The panel should look something like this:
c03824506.gif

Make sure you're also running the latest software from HP's web site, which is here: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Let me know if that helps.

May also need to run the software in compatibility mode for WIn8. Win8 drivers should work on Win10, just an FYI.

The printer's ability to "see" the broadcasted SSID has nothing to do with the OS.

Ensure the printer's wifi is turned on as suggested by MidnightShadow. Also try rebooting the router if you haven't already.

The printer's ability to "see" the broadcasted SSID has nothing to do with the OS.

Ensure the printer's wifi is turned on as suggested by MidnightShadow. Also try rebooting the router if you haven't already.

I was assuming that the OP was using HP software to configure the printer - which is affected by the OS.

I've never used HP's wireless printers so I can't say I have any experience with using/setting them up, so I was just throwing out an opinion :).

Thank you for all of the suggestions guys.
Friend took printer back and went with another brand. Absolutely zero problems installing it. I think he bought a Lexmark wireless all-in-one.

Glad to see this is resolved! I remember the HP C4795 a few years back had an issue with WiFi. If the WiFi was WPA2 and also longer than (I think) 8 characters, then it wouldn't see/connect to the network. Firmware update for the printer fixed it, but not before a huge rush of exchanges on those units.

Back
Top Bottom