Wireless networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunx710

Beta member
Hi, I didn't just join the board to ask a question, but I am a full time tech and usually do mostly computer work, however today I will be installing a netgear wireless router and wireless card. I have no doubt the install will be simple, as I am familiar with networking. However, I am not sure about the security end of it, I've read a little about it, but as we all know sometimes it is best to get information from people who have real world experience vs. someone who writes articles. So, my question...whats the best way to setup a "secure" wireless network?
Thanks ahead for any help,
Scott.

dont broadcast your SID

Use some form of encryption

If you know how many computers are going to be on the network set it so that only that number of IP addresses are available

If it is always going to be the same computers on the network then assign each ones MAC address to an IP address and never let the IP address for any of the computers expire

This way someone can only get onto your network if they know it is there, know your password, WEP key and what kind of encryption you are using and have an IP address assigned to their computers mac address.

Your wireless router will allow you to use a WEP key as a means of security. This works well and will keep the normal surfers out. Like anything it can be had. I use it and its safe enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom