Wireless Networking with SMC8014 to Increase Range

Wrkwatchr

Beta member
I recently moved into a new house and have internet service via Business Class Broadband. Due to ISP limitations, they provided two SMC8014W-G Wireless Routers. Each router has 5 assignable static IPs as well as can provide DHCP and WEP/WPA security for connected devices. I had each room in the house hardwired with CAT6E to a patch panel near the Broadband entry point. The patch panel is connected to a Cisco Gigabit Switch then to one of the SMC router Ethernet connections. The SMC routers provide WPA2 security.

Lan 1 - SMC 8014 Broadband/Wireless(15/2) --->Cisco Gigabit Switch--->Patch Panel---> Cat6E Wired Connections throughout House (Servers/Desktops/TVs/Etc.)
Lan 2 - SMC 8014 Broadband/Wireless(10/2)----> Currently Unused..... :(

Notes: Everything works on the one SMC router (15/2) as I want it too as long as I can access the wire/wireless for the one SMC router currently connected to the switch. The SMC serves DCHP and WPA2 with no problems as long as I can access the signal

Problems:

#1 - The House is shaped as a "T" and the wireless cannot reach approximately the top of the "T" which accounts for ~50% of the house due to a Rock walls and a fireplace blocking signals to half the house. I have already installed High Gain Antennas on the 15/2 SMC Router that improved signal strength on one side of the wall, but still have no signal behind the wall.
#2 - I need wireless access for all devices throughout the house, including those not capable of a wired connections such as Kindle/Cell Phones/Tablets to include data stored on the server attached via the switch.
#2 - I have no clue if it is possible or practical to make the two SMC Wireless Broadband Routers work as one 25/2 (hopefully) network aggregating signals to take advantage of the speed/bandwidth I am paying for (Caveat - My ISP has a new service that COULD combine the signals into a single router, but would require a NEW and VERY VERY expensive 3 year contract and I am not thrilled about such an expensive commitment.)
#3 - I need to access my server that is connected via the switch be all connected devices - both wired and wireless

My Questions in order of priority are:

#1 - How do I get wireless signal behind the rock wall - I have several wireless routers available and I am willing to buy something else if necessary, but I don't know if/how I need to set them up to work with the SMC8014s as AP/Repeaters/Bridges (simple and easy is better as I am a relative Networking Newbie and I don't understand the differences between AP/Repeater/Bridge). I have unused Cat6E drops available behind the wall or if needed I can run new cable from the router/switch/patch panel area to a suitable area behind the rock wall. Right now all Cat6 drops are wired to the patch panel. If a new cable is needed, where should it be connected to ensure access to the server?
#2 - Is there a way to aggregate the signal of the two SMC Broadband Routers and if so - how?
#3 - If possible and necessary, I can have the second SMC8014 wired and placed on the other side of the wall to provide wireless service to the other side of the house, but I need to be able to access my server from both SMC routers via wireless.

Note: I have read and tried multiple options I have found on the Internet as APs, Bridges, Repeaters, etc., but none worked apparently as they all assume the Broadband Service and Wireless Routers were separate devices and the lack of knowledge and understanding on my part! I can however say that while my knowledge may not have improved much, my confusion level has increased exponentially!:whistle:

Thanks in advance!

Roy

Back
Top Bottom