Wireless Networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

misfits_phreek

Beta member
My home computer is wireless networked. On both computers, I get the following message:

"Windows System-Error: The IP address is in conflict with another address on this network"

I have NO connectivity issues... both pc's can log onto the net. I've ran the network wizard, troubleshoot, everything. The only thing I get is that that the modem (RealTek) failed... no response when pinged. But again, NO connectivity issues.

Any ideas?

The problem is that every few minutes a window appears in the toolbar with that message... I'm wondering if it's something I need to take care of immediately before a bigger problem happens.

You can run HiJackThis and post the log in the spyware/virus threads.
I don't understand how you get that error without any loss of connectivity.

I had that problem before too. All I did was reset the modem and let each PC get reassigned with a new dhcp ip. Try that and see if it works.

Sounds like two devices on your network are trying to use the same IP address for some reason. Check the IP addresses of all equipment on your network, including the router.

Maybe the DHCP is assigning an IP that is statically assigned to another device? Maybe a neighbor has hacked into your network by statically assigning an IP address to his machine that is in your IP range?

Double check the Internet Protocl( tcp/ip) via the lac in network connections. Make sure you have automatically assinged IP and DNS information. Check the gateway by clicking advanced on the same panel, make sure there is no data in that field.

you can statically assign the IP addresses to your PC's and then use mac filtering so you know only YOU are using your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom