wireless networking linksys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkS

Beta member
hi

Before I start I am should probable let you know that I dont know much about computers so this might be abit slow :-(

I have a wireless network at home, base station downstairs on my old pc, access point adapter thingee upstairs on newer pc. I didnt set it up. I have a new pc and I have bought a usb wireless adapter, how do I allow this to join my network?

thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cpt Mark Stevens CBE

Just use the Networking Wizard if you're running Win XP & Make sure you have the same workgroup name. Actually it's pretty Simple.

HOld On here,,

Go into internet explorer and in the address line, type in the address of the wireless,,, probably http://192.168.2.1 you will get a window prompting you for a password ,, defaults are usually " admin "

You need to look at the configuration of the base station first,,,

get the CHANNEL that your wireless is on AND the SSID name of your wireless network,,,

once you have this info,, Install the new USB card to your basement PC,, then set the config to the Channel that you wrote down,, and enter the SSID name into the config of the card,, you should be asked for these,,

AFTER you have your TWO pc's online,, you then run the XP home networking wizard,, you need a floppy disc while doing this,, you first run it in the XP machine,, then take the config on the disc to the basement machine,, you will have prompts on how to run this ..

these are the basics,,, BUT YOU MUST READ THE MANUALS that came with the hardware to FULLY understand the configuration,,

it is easy to ask,, but harder to understand,,

This is a user friendly task,, so you should have a 90% chance of getting this going quite easily...

cheers

Crash got ya covered Dude. I'd forgot there are a few issues ya gotta deal with but like Crash says ya got a 90% chance of getting it the first time. Remember to use Zero Config on XP & let it configure your USB Adaptor. Let us Know how it turns out.

Thanks guys

I will have to work it out abit as I am running redhat 8 but you have been a great help.

you need to install the software for the usb wireless adapter, then configure it to your network, so find out the configuration, open the basestation utility tool then configure your new adapter so those specifications.

Let me know what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom