Wireless network setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenPlastik

Beta member
Alrighty, so I got a question on how to set up my network so that my roommates can get wireless signal.

First some background:
My current setup has my cable modem hooked up to my 8 port router, which has my wireless router (in bridge mode) plugged into it. This works to get wired access to anything connected to the 8 port router (and I guess to the wireless router, since it's plugged into the 8-port). It also gives a wireless signal to anything in range.

Here's the question:
If I want to add some way to make the signal stronger in the rest of our apartment without runnin a wire out there.. since i'm bridging my wireless signal out of my room, i'd need an access point to catch the signal and spread it right? My roommate recently got his hands on yet another wireless router (it doesn't do bridging). At this point, I assume that I'll need a wireless access point, and not a router to extend my current setup's wireless signal.

Any help would be appreciated.

No... A wireless acess point does not repeat the signal
If you wanted to use a wireless acess point, you would need to setup an adhoc network... all gets confusing and its just not worth the effort.

However, it is possible to buy wireless repeaters to do the job.
You would have to setup your router and repeater to communicate with each other (but it is easier than your suggestion :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom