Wireless network and a repeater...not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthongy817

Baseband Member
Ok guys, after sitting through three Linksys customer service rep., I am now tired of them repeating the same crap over and over again.

Here is my situation. I live in an apartment, I have Time Warner Cable, and I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with the DD-WRT firmware.

Throughout my apartment I get almost full signal. My girlfriend just moved into the same apartment complex, almost right next to me (about 30 ft. away). I can access the internet when I am standing outside of her door, but I lose internet access once I step through the door. I am still able to pick up the signal but with no internet access.

I have been using a WAP54G as a AP Client to connect to my PS3, so now I am trying to use the WAP54G as a repeater.

So I setup the WAP54G into my girlfriend's place and into a room that is closest to my place (30 ft. away from the router with two walls inbetween). In that room, my laptop (has a built-in wireless card) shows that the signal is low (majority of the time I cannot connect to my router). With the WAP54G installed, my signal is almost at full, but I am still unable to gain internet access.

The WAP54G shows the router signal at 20%.

Now what I have really wanted to know the whole time (which the Linksys customer reps. were not able to confirm for me), does the WAP54G have to be placed in an area that is able to receive BOTH signal and internet access? Or does it only have to be able to pick up signal only?

I really do not know why I cannot even pick up internet access from the router at such a short distance. My cousin that lives three floors up, with god knows how many walls, and is still able to pick up internet access with LOW signal.

Please give me your suggestions! It will really beat having to pay an extra $50 monthly bill for my girlfriend.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

The wireless signal from the WRT54GL and your computer only. The Internet access should be handle by the wireless router.

Does her apartment have any Bluetooth device? Do you know if there's any other wireless network near by her that could be interfering with yours?

Those walls must be pretty thick. Adjusting the antenna doesn't help a little bit?

You'll probably gonna have to tear down those walls or use powerline networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom