Wireless Network Range Problem.. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raziel-Zero

In Runtime
I am having a serious problem with my Wireless Network. I recently moved house and have set my cable connection/modem/wireless router at one end of the house. At the other end I have a computer connecting to this wireless network.

It's signal has been extremely weak even though the whole network is 802.11n, triple antennae on both the router and adapter and all.

It has got to the point where the person on the aforementioned computer cannot even use the internet if anyone else is doing something such as browsing the web on non-intense pages.

I have tried another set of router/wireless adapter, that one was a 802.11b router and a g adapter. It got no reception at all.

The house is big, but not so much that the wireless connection should be going out of range.

The distance between the adapter/computer and router is about 40 metres on the same floor.

Thanks in advance.

wow, i am amazed the 802.11n can't reach that. I know this is a weird question, but how old is the house? Different construction methods, materials, and shapes can reek havok with your wireless. Walls and ceilings can create off-set echos that act like a car muffler and simply just cancel the other waves out. Things such as concrete, lead paint, and steel framing can screw u up to. Even aluminum siding. The other thing is, I belive 802.11n still runs on the 2.4 GHz range, if that is so, cordless phones in on that frequency, and microwaves will KILL your signal. My best suggestion, move your router to the center of the house. you dont want it on the end anyways, someone with some computer smarts could sniff your network and get all ur CC and password info. If you cannot move the router, go to radio shack and get a linksys range extender. It acts like a repeater and costs about $100. You NEED to put it in the center of the house, halfway between the computers and router, the problem is i dont think they have any 802.11n repeaters yet, so you may just need to run G until you can figure out another way.
Hope this helps.

First off, thanks, that was a very helpful response. I thought about the house thing only problem is that this house is brand spankin' new. We just built it and moved into it :S.

On moving the router, I wanted to connect my computer straight to the router so the cable wall connection is in my room and thus the modem and router are in my room. So I really don't think moving the router/rewiring the cable is an option a) because I have no idea how to get into my roof and undo and redo the wiring and b) because I would like to directly connect to the router to maintain speeds.

I was thinking of buying 3 10 dbi antennae and connecting them up to the card but I figure that would be pretty expensive (around 60 australian bucks).

I just went out and bought all of this N gear (router + adapter) because I thought it would solve the problem seeing as I had a B router and G adapter previously. At least I get signal now but it really is terrible.

Any other ideas? :D

802.11n is suppose to be able to go 70 metres indoors and thats a minimalist figure : /. Really disappointing...

Thank you very very much,

Well that was why i was so shocked that it couldn't go 40 meters. What about cordless phones and microwaves? also, did u further consider my suggestion about the range extender?

I did and it would be great if they had an N extender however I am not so keen on going back to my Apple Airport and I would probably get hit by my father for making him buy an N router + adapter haha.

With phones + microwaves, the N technology runs on a 5 GHz band I'm pretty sure, so I don't think they will affect it?

Argh!

You don't really need a repeator.... While it is costly, you can use another 802.11n router located in another spot in the house to extend the network. Best option is to cable the 2 together, and disable DHCP on the one that isn't the gateway. If you are NOT going to be able to cable them together, then you MIGHT be able to bridge the connection between the 2, and wire that router to another computer. You would have to do your homework and make sure that both routers are able to do that before picking one up though.

Lol, I managed to fix this one quite easily. My router was sitting beside my computer on the floor next to my desk. I moved it up onto my desk and the other computer suddenly started getting perfect speed and reception. Odd that the computer alone could make so much difference to the transmission, the only other difference apart from the computer was maybe a 60 cm shift in height upwards.

Echos, they reek havok, but they are so hard to figure out. I'm glad it all worked out for you my friend. Enjoy he N range and speed. I will be stuck with G for a while :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom