wireless network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

melhenney

Beta member
I have just bought an Asus x58l laptop - but i didn't realise that it's wireless card was an 802.11n. My wireless router is a belkin 802.11g and I can't get the laptop (which runs Vista basic) to see the router at all! (the laptop does see my daughters laptop which has an 802.11g connection)

The laptop does connect on the internet via the router on my cable.
I have tried updating the Router, updating the Athos network card driver but nothing works.

I am confused as from my research online 802.11n is backwards compatible with g??!!

Any help would be appreciated - Or am I doomed??:eek:

Welcome to Tech Forums!

It could be that your router is set not to broadcast it's SSID. What is your router? Check around for SSID broadcast. This could be why the laptop is not seeing the router.

Most wireless n cards (actually all of them I think) should at least support the g standard. Make sure that your router is broadcasting correctly and that the settings are correct.

Hi! Thanks for the replies!

My router is a Belkin F5D7231-4 Version 1103uk, 2.4GHz 125 High Speed Modem. It uses 802.11g and works with all other devices.
Checked it's SSID and that is definately broadcasting.
The Laptop just refuses to acknowlege it!

Most wireless n cards (actually all of them I think) should at least support the g standard.

Just re-enforcing this statement. Since the first draft of N was made, all draft N devices have to have 3 types of module support. One of these "modes" is legacy which would include support for a, b and g.

I have heard of this legacy setting before, but the options to change the settings on the Vista Device Manager / network manager seem extremely limited and I can find no reference to a legacy setting.

I tried a direct driver update from Atheros who provide the wireless card for asus but this hasn't altered anything either.

Legacy mode is integrated into draft n products. It doesn't have to be a setting necessarily

I have heard of this legacy setting before, but the options to change the settings on the Vista Device Manager / network manager seem extremely limited and I can find no reference to a legacy setting.

I tried a direct driver update from Atheros who provide the wireless card for asus but this hasn't altered anything either.

This wouldnt be part of the OS. It would be part of your router.

The only way it would be dependent at all on the OS would be with the software installed not with the Vista Device Manager. The Software installed which would be specific to the card.

The OS could care less about which standard you are using. It is only the card and the router that have to be synced.

So i would have to say that your drivers are either wrong, or you dont have the correct software installed for the card to get it working properly with the router.

The only thing that the Vista Device Manager will show you is that there is a working driver and the device is enabled. That is all it should show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom