wireless network no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulpingpong

Baseband Member
Installed DSl and wireless router(Dlink 108Kbs). My laptop with Win XP is able to connect with WEP encryption and password with no fuss. My older desktops with Win 98SE can connect to the router through password, but not the internet! Am I missing some setting in the router's config routine?

You should look in the status tab ( I think ), I cant remember right now, and see if you are getting a DNS from your modem. Because if you arent getting anything, it will look like:

IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0

And if it looks like that, click the release button, and then click the renew and you should be able to get something.

If that isnt the problem, let me know.

Where is this release button? the Linksys Monitor only has refresh, or connect. The adapter hardware has no button at all.

Well before you look at that, I should have said are you able to get to the internet on all of your other machines.

It's normally best if you use the same hardware manufacturer all around (both router and pci wireless cards).

Make sure that on the windows machines that the TCP/IP setting are set up to automatically obtain an IP address and can resolve the DNS on their own also.

You should also make that the the other technologies specific to Dlink hardware are turned off, for example the Super G Mode options and etc...

post again if those dont help

try manually assigning an IP address to the Windows 98 machine.
the router's IP address should be 192.168.0.1. if it is, set the IP to 192.168.0.X (X can be anything, as long as its not in use)

Make sure the same SSID set on the router is also set on your desktop. ( Control Panel - Network Connections - right-click on Wireless Network Connection icon, then click on Properties - Select Wireless Networks tab - within Preferred networks window/box, click the Add button - type in there the Network Name (SSID) you desire.

Also, make sure that WEP is selected (recommended), the WEP's Network Key is correctly keyed in. The correct Key Index No. must also be chosen.

If you found the last two items are "greyed out", you will need to uncheck the box next to "The key is provided for me automatically"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom