Wireless network keeps failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

z28summit

Beta member
I tried finding a post on this, but no luck. Every couple days my wireless connection will fail. XP will recognize the network, and says the signal is excellent, but it can seem to connect to it. Its an open connection, and the the only fix I find that works is powering off the router(s)(linksys and SMC).

Also, the ppl that I am staying with said they have some trouble with the signal when they close the dining room doors at night(where the router is located) Regaardless, XP should connect once they have opened. Anyone have any ideas? I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Thanks.

So when the doors are open the signal is fine... but when the doors are closed the signal drops?

That a little strange... Have you tried moving the router to a more stable spot in the house?

No I havent. I am just staying at this house for a while for work. This problem still persists at home as well, and the failure is spuratic(sp). I cant think of anything that could be causing it. I thought maybe spyware, but I ran hyjack to the best of my knowledge, checked for lop, etc. I'm kinda stumped.

This has been known to happen when there are power sources close to the router itself.

I don't see why the opening and closing of a door will do this, unless the signal strength drops completely and can't travel through this closed door.

Has it ever worked properly?

It works good when it works. When it cant connect, it shows the signal strength at excellent. I'm trying to figure out what rebooting the router is doing fixing the problem. Is there a time limit to how long the router will accept packets from my ip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom