Wireless network help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekgnr

Baseband Member
Ok I'm getting a new computer and I want a wireless network with my other computer. What do I need exactly? My new computer will have wifi g and I'm not sure what that does. So do I still need to get a router if I have that? Then I don't know what computer to hook whatever I have to hook up to. My new computer will be hooked up to cable. So I need the other one to get hooked up wireless.

If you have a cable connection, the best thing to do is to get a wireless router and plug the cable into it. Then you can connect the other computers by putting a wireless card in them. If your new computer has wireless G then this means it is ready to connect to a wireless G router.

If you have a wireless card in both machines and a network card for your cable modem to plug into, you can link the two wireless cards up in a standard network and have the computer with the modem plugged in have ICS Internet Connection Sharing active which means the second computer can access the internet so long as the first one is plugged in....

Otherwise, a wireless router is your thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom