Wireless network help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Wireless network help

Ok I'm getting a new computer and I want a wireless network with my other computer. What do I need exactly? My new computer will have wifi g and I'm not sure what that does. So do I still need to get a router if I have that? Then I don't know what computer to hook whatever I have to hook up to. My new computer will be hooked up to cable. So I need the other one to get hooked up wireless.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you have a cable connection, the best thing to do is to get a wireless router and plug the cable into it. Then you can connect the other computers by putting a wireless card in them. If your new computer has wireless G then this means it is ready to connect to a wireless G router.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 03-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

If you have a wireless card in both machines and a network card for your cable modem to plug into, you can link the two wireless cards up in a standard network and have the computer with the modem plugged in have ICS Internet Connection Sharing active which means the second computer can access the internet so long as the first one is plugged in....

Otherwise, a wireless router is your thing...
Closed Thread