Wireless Network has me at wits end!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyiball

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

I have my wireless network set up at the house and my laptop will not connect to the internet. I have a connection to the home network and I have even tried using a hard wire. I connect to the network without any difficulty, but when I try to use any web-based service i.e. Yahoo Messenger, Skype, Firefox, or IE they will not work. I have checked the settings on both Firefox and IE so that the configuration should be automatic.

I am at wits end.

Any tips anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello,

Could you provide information about the configuration of your wireless network?

For example, a wireless router, cable modem etc...and how they are connected to each other.

The router is a linksys wireless G, the card for the laptop is a Hama G card and the modem is cable. I have the desktop connected to the router via hardline and when I connected the laptop to the router with a cable I was able to access the shared files so this indicates to me that the hardware in the laptop is working. I also have another laptop connected to the network (wireless) so I know that the router is working properly. As I stated before, I have a connection to the network, but no web services work.

If you want any more information please let me know.

Again I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Do you have a firewall? Blocking software? Can you share files via wireless with this laptop?

I dont have any additional software besides the default windows firewall and McAfee Virus. I disabled the windows firewall to see if that was causing a problem with no effect. I was not able to share files when I connected wirelessly.

If you cannot share files via wireless, I suspect that you are either connecting to the WRONG network (perhaps it is trying to connect to a neighboring network), or not connecting to the router at all.

When you think it is connected wirelessly, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG, and note the IP address info, subnet mask & default gateway. THEN, do the SAME thing on the WORKING laptop, and post the results here.

"puter" isnt that a golf club used on the greens when playing golf?

I know I am connecting to the proper network because I have made sure that I enabled the wireless security. I had to input a network key. The computer indicates that it is connected to the network, but nothing works. That is the frustrating part is the stupid thing is telling me that it should be working, but it doesn't. I have tried connecting it to other networks and I get the same result. The computer indicates that it has successfully connected but no web services work. I am ready to throw the laptop out of the window and buy a new one, but that would make my wife not so happy.

this might be a daft question - the desktop PC is hardwired to the router - OK
does this connect to the internet OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom