Wireless Network and Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
I was wondering, if I were to purchase a NetGear or D-Link 54mbps 802.11g WirelessRouter, and PCI Network CARD how would it work for 1 on 1 LAN Gaming,,,, How does it work compared to normal 10/100/1000 based.... I just want to know if it will work. I'm not going to be hosting no 20v20's Its just going to be me and my bro downstairs,,, im upstairs and hes downstairs right below me.... how would it work and what would be recommended?

I have a 75$ budget for Router and CARD!!!!! whats my best bet. I can do ebay if I need to.

Are you going to be sharing the Internet or just connecting to each other for gaming? My advice is skip the headaches of getting Wi-Fi to work. It's a pain to begin with and in a two story house it's even harder.

My advice is to get one of these Powerline Networking Kits and plug one adapter into each PC and into a wall outlet and you will be networked. They are the same speed as 10Mbps Ethernet and are simple to use.

Phoenix1 said "My advice is skip the headaches of getting Wi-Fi to work. It's a pain to begin with and in a two story house it's even harder."

I disagree wireless is easy to hook up, set up and use. just make sure your network is security enabled. Its all easy just follow the directions for the security and encryption part. And allthough I have never and would not ever use Powerline networking kits, Do it right the first time and buy a good wireless system such as D-Link, Lynk-sys....ect.........by the way I have no problem with any of my computers working on my network wether they be upstairs,downstairs,in the backyard or garage.

"wireless is easy to hook up, set up and use"

Which is why wireless devices are the most returned products in retail? I worked on this stuff for eight years. I can get it to work because I know what I'm doing. The average home user doesn't. They hear statements like yours, go out to Best Buy, get talked into buying something from some non-knowledgable salesperson, take it home, can't get it to work and end up returning it after hours of frustration. Or they call someone out to install it who charges $50 per hour (with a $100 minimum). All when they could have just picked up two HomePlug adapters and done it themselves in under 2 minutes. Just pull them out of the box and plug them in.

Phoenix1 said:
"wireless is easy to hook up, set up and use"

Which is why wireless devices are the most returned products in retail? I worked on this stuff for eight years. I can get it to work because I know what I'm doing. The average home user doesn't. They hear statements like yours, go out to Best Buy, get talked into buying something from some non-knowledgable salesperson, take it home, can't get it to work and end up returning it after hours of frustration. Or they call someone out to install it who charges $50 per hour (with a $100 minimum). All when they could have just picked up two HomePlug adapters and done it themselves in under 2 minutes. Just pull them out of the box and plug them in.

Wireless is not hard to setup at all. Also the difference between this person and people that buy these wireless kits is, he is a member of computer based forum with 400 posts. I am sure he can figure out wifi.

I agree it's not hard to setup if you know what you are doing. My point was if you want it done cheap, fast, and simple there are other ways to do it. Wi-Fi isn't the only solution for home networking. Too many people think it is though.

LoL. I've setup wireless networks before for relatives and family. And have had them work great... But obviosuly they won't be gaming... I was just wondering how it is for gaming....

IVE HOOKED UP WIRELESS BEFORE

THE THREAD IS "HOW IS IT FOR GAMING"

Phoenix1 said:
I agree it's not hard to setup if you know what you are doing. My point was if you want it done cheap, fast, and simple there are other ways to do it. Wi-Fi isn't the only solution for home networking. Too many people think it is though.

Ethernet over power is a terrible technolagy. In some larger better done houses (like mine) such a technolagy does not work well. Also if a house is not up to electrical standard you can also experince many problems.

Have you actually tried it? It's widely being deployed in Europe where Wi-Fi doesn't work well due to thick walls and even in very old homes it works quite well. In mid-2006 you'll see 200Mbps products rolling out that can deliver multiple channels of HDTV over the power lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom