Wireless Network Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
I have a basic network setup at home, wireless router in Dad's office (DI-524 ), wireless usb adapter in my room (DWL-G122). Ever since I had set it up last year, my signal strength has always been "Low" or "Very Low" or sometimes, non-existant.

I decided to get a usb extension cable and that kinda fixed the problem. I can connect more often now, but my signal strength has always been as weak as always.

It really has to do with placement. I once brought my system downstairs for a bit and I got an "Excellent" signal at a speed of 54 Mbps. But I have to keep my machine upstairs anyway, where I'm only get 1 Mbps, max 2 Mbps.

Here's how my current placement looks:

homenetworkxk9.jpg

This signal problem is quite a bother especially when I'm playing cs1.6, my ping is fine, like 15 to 25, but every so often, I get random lag for a split second. I don't have constant lag, it just comes up every so 15 - 20 seconds.

One important detail as well. All the cordless phones are mostly on the 1st Floor. Whenever somebody makes a call, I lost my connection entirely. They're are 2.4GHz phones, and I know that I need to change em to 900Mhz or 5.8GHz frequency. But that's obviously gonna cost a lot. Any other way I can work around the phone thing?

I'm looking for the cheapest solution possible. A new antenna, an extender, repeater, new router, new adapter, wtvr, as long as fixing this problem will cost from $0-$50 canadian at most.

A wired connection would fix your connection problem, but of course this isn't as easy as I think it would depending on how your house is. You'll probably be better of (if you still want to use the wireless connection) to get repeater. And try pointing the router's antenna towards your room just to get a little better signal.

I will recommend the same manufacture: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=267

Just use that device in repeater mode, and put it half way between your room and and your dad's office or however you want depending on how house.

Yea those wireless phone are killing you, it's either change the phone or the router to 802.11a (I don't recommend changing the router), or try moving the phone further away from the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom