Wireless network for dummies <---(me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrookedPinkies

Baseband Member
OK i just built my computer and the only thing there is left to do is to get DSL to it. I chose wireless because i dont want to have to run a 100 foot eithernet cable all the way to my room (my room is on the top floor and the DSL is on the floor below me). What i wanted to know is basically every thing, what wirless roughter i should buy, how to set it up, where to get it, any percautions i should take, ect. I am using my computer for basically games so i need something fast enough so that i dont lag and something thats not too expensive. i kow how to hook everything up i just need to know the other details. Thanks so much for your help. You can talk to me on AIM alos (Cr00kedpinkies).

You are going to want to go with Linksys. They should offer a package deal that offers you the wireless router and the PCI wireless card that goes into your computer. Make sure that you get the one that offers 802.11G capabilities. It is the fastest technology out on the market and will suit your needs for gaming. Its instructions are very straight forward and you should be ok. Plus if you have any other questions you can just post here.

get 802.11g with speed booster if u can, its twice as fast, and i dont think it is too much more if they are offering rebates. i would look in your sundays ads for best buy, curciut city, comp usa, or what ever else u have, and find the best deal, but other wise id go to best buy

Hey, I have wireless too. I live in a subdivision and my neighboors got cable modem with wireless as well. So I set up some encryption and it is secure enough for now. Just make sure you have some WEP Encryption on the network, it is pretty straight forward. Call up Linksys or who ever it is you are buying from and they will help you with that stuff.

I was wondering, someone told me once that you have to get the same brand wireless adapter as the wireless roughter. Is this true? thanks

No that is not true. At home I have several computers that are wirelessly connected to my Linksys Wireless Router. My laptop however has a D-Link PCMCIA card, and it has absolutly no trouble connecting to the WAP. 802.11G is the newest standard in the wireless field. Before it was 802.11A,B and now G. It is just faster, stronger, and can be made more secure. You should have no trouble with getting a good signal from your down stairs. That is probably a total of 20ft from you, through the ceiling, and into the WAP (Wireless Access Point). I use my laptop at least 50ft away from my WAP. The 802.11G standard is capable to up to 108MBPS (Mega Bytes Per Second). This is great because many wired networks reach up to 100MBPS although you may not always reach that speed. You should be fine. Post again if you have any other questions.

i think 802.11b = 11 mbps, 802.11g = 54mbps, and "g" with "speed booster can get 108mbps, but this is only the maximum speed that u could get, i have a "g" network and on my pc which is through the the ceiling and over a little i can only get 22 mbps.

I dont understant what it mean when it says MBps. I know it means mega bytes per second but what internet connection can send and recive that much? Is it like if you are networking two computers to share files ect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom