Wireless Network Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt work, tried pinging again with just the modem connected, and still tells me "Ping request could not find host"

yahoo's ip address is 66.218.71.198
try to ping that address if "yahoo.com" doesnt work...

if that is the case, then your DNS numbers need to be attended to :)

also try...........go back into your settings page of your router (192.168.2.1) and make sure that you are connecting via PPPoE. DSL modems require PPPoE settings and then you need to enter in your username/password on that page.

Try that....let me know if that works

Well tried pinging 66.218.71.198 and still did not work.

Went into the routers setup facility to check PPPoE but i cant configure that because i dont have a password. MY ISP is BTBroadband and you dont need a password usually.

you said that you have DSL correct. Usually, DSL requires a username and password to log in. Much like a dial up modem, but its faster lol

If you have a username, then you probably have a password, but dont remember it. Is this the first time that you are using this DSL service?

No I have been signed up to BTBroadband for 2 years. You dont need a password for it, they just give you a username to type in when prompted when youre setting up for the first time, after that you just have to click Connect to > BTBroadband.

If you are totally bypassing your router and cannot connect to the internet then maybe you should call your ISP? At this point, it seems like the net in your area or at your location is down.

-Mike

if the net is down in your area, then you will see:
while in the settings page in your router. If the net is down, the router will not get an IP address, so you can check that out..

I get an IP address in the router setup page so i know the net is not down. Also I am able to connect with no problems through my laptop using usb modem.

Have you tried to reset the belkin router? This may require you to power it off first, then holding the reset button in, powering it back on and keeping the reset button pressed for 10 seconds or so. The exact instructions for the reset should be in the manual.
Also, I don't want to leave the NIC on the computer out of this problem either. After all, the modem works......it appears that the functionality of the router to, at least, obtain an external IP address is working fine, how about taking a straight-through CAT5 cable from the DSL modem to the PC? Can you access the internet (without USB) from the PC in question thourgh just the cable modem? As the sencond solution may take a little bit to setup....try resetting the router first.

-Mike

Ok, have tried resetting the Belkin Router without any joy. So tried the next option of connecting the modem only with cat5 to the pc, still not happening! Also checked the configuration of the adsl modem against the manual and rebooted, it made no difference, except maybe that the activity light seems to be flasshing more steadily now. (keeps giving me false hopes!)

I'm pretty sure my network card on the pc is working ok as before i started out with this wireless network project I already had a wired network from it that work with no problems.
Am getting to wits end now, wish i had magic wand..... but hammer might come in useful soon !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom