Wireless Network Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
I am still searching for a good wireless network adapter. I have read that it's a good idea to get a wireless adapter that's the same brand as the router, however, that was dated a couple years back. Does that still hold? I have found the following adapter:

Newegg.com - Zonet ZEW2500P IEEE 802.11b/g MINI USB / USB 2.0 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA - Wireless Adapters

Is that a safe adapter? Should I worry about my computer being secure with that adapter? Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

meh, all my computers have different brand of wireless adapter than my router
and they run just fine

if the reviews looks good then go for it

its got 64/128-bit WEP WPA encryption

as long as you have a secure network password, you should be fine
unless... they are uber leet hackers... kids that can even hack into FBI

Thanks. So, I know that WPA2 uses a different encryption method than WPA. How much more secure is WPA2 than WPA? Should I worry about it, or should I just make a long password with WPA and go with that?

you should check if your router supports WPA2 first.

long/strong password is RECOMMENDED
preferably 20+ characters

WPA is good enough for me.

That's a good idea. Even if the wireless adapter supports WPA2, but the router doesn't, then WPA2 won't function for that adapter.

Yeah, don't sweat it about WPA2. It's pretty new yet. I personally have the capability of running WPA2, my router supports it, but I just don't run it. I run WPA + mac filtering... not that I need to, but because I can. :)

Ok, so I should be safe even with WPA as long as I take necessary precautions like having a firewall, etc? Just a quick question though, how much safer is WPA2 vs WPA.

By the way, I still hear from people who have trouble mixing and matching manufacturers with their wireless devices. If at all possible, it would be safest to stick with the same manufacturer. One more thing, Belkin seems to get the most complaints when it comes to not working with other manufacturers' devices.

If a router says it supports WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK will a wireless adapter that supports 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA work with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom