Wireless Network With 2 COmputers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fofoo

Baseband Member
I have just gotten a new computer. I want to wirelessly network both my old and new one, which is running on WinXP. Mainly i want the two comps. to be able to share the internet conenction i have[adsl]. I want to know:

Do i just buy a Wireless Router[ex. Linksys WRT 45G] and then connect that to my new computer, and then buy a wireless network card for my old one? Thanks.

You definitely want to go with a router, it will serve as your liaison between your computers and the DSL modem. It will also have DHCP services which will enable any computer plugged into it to share the intenet.

If the computers are far from each other, you will want a wireless card, that will connect to your AP (Access Point) / Router.

It is fairly simple, just plug the router in, and enter your ISP user name and PW.

Do a search here for router configuration, that will help you get started in the right direction.

Thanks! So thats all i need for two computers right?

Router x1
Wireless Network Card x1

Hardware wise, yes, but you'll need about two hours and a 6-pack, lol. I just hooked up a Linksys wired router and that took me an hour on the phone with there tech support and some more time looking around the net to get it figured out. All it needed was a firmware update ( you'd think they're tech support could have thought of that but I guess not). Anyway, if you have problems try updating the firmware. Good luck with everything!

One more question. Do the wireless USB adapters work as well as the PCI network adapters? I prefer not opening my case, because i am very lazy. Also, are these two products completely compatible?

WRT54G
wrt54g.jpg

and

WUSB54G
wusb54g.jpg

I think the USB adapters work as well... they're just not as fast. But I've never personally used the USB adapters so I can't speak from experience.

The usb adapters usually work better because you can position them higher off the ground, whereas the PCI adapters are pretty much stationary.

As for speed, there really is no difference because of the bottleneck effect. Most ISP's do not offer more than 5Mbps Down, and USB can go up to 11Mbps. So even though PCI can do like 120Mbps (just guessing dont remember) it doesnt help if you only putting 5Mbps through it.

To paraphrase a dirty thought once spoken: "Its like throwing a hotdog down a hallway"

USB ethernet adapters are more expensive, iw ould just take a deep breath and shove the card in. Its much faster, as i own one for an old laptop.

in my network at home (which worked until a wireless card broke stopped working a few days ago after about 14 months (LinkSys WMP54G)), i have a linksys wireless router (WRT54G) that connects to my cable modem and has one computer (up to four though) plugged directly into it and my and another desktop that is upstairs on the other side of the house connecting to it via the wireless card, installation was a breeze, as soon as the wireless card was put in my comp it saw the network, i was a total n00b when I did everything...shouldn't be that much of a pain

SAVE THE BOXES/RECEIPTS when you buy your stuff, linksys requires a proof of purchase (receipt) and some barcode from the box to prove that your stuff is still under warranty if something happens (threw away my damn box like 2 months ago!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom