Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that there might be something in the router, perhaps a setting that needs to be changed in the linksys settings. Might that be a possiblity?

If you can ping by IP and not by name, that probably means you don't have netBIOS enable on some of the computers. You need netBIOS to be able to use My Network Place, or else without netBIOS you can just enter the IP address follow by the share name. Example

\\192.168.2.2\my music

should work if you can ping by IP. If you want to use My Network Place to browse for share, make sure netBIOS is enable.

http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/netbt.htm

ok i enabled the netBIOS. I tried to ping sam (the laptop) again and the same thing happened. I went to my network places and looked under workgroups. Sam was there, but only because i did the network setup a while back. So the name is there but when i click it, it cannot find the drive or anyway to it.

Oh and also, do i need to enable netbios on the laptop also, i just did it on the desktop

Yea, it should be enable on all computer for file sharing to work in My Network Place. You'll have to restart the computers after enabling it.

ok, i enabled it and restarted both. The desktop i did it to the LAN, being in that I am directly plugged into the router. On the laptop it is enabled on the wireless connection.
what do I do now?

Make sure all computers are in the same workgroup.

Try searching for the computer in My Network Place>View workgroup computers

that is what i did. they are both in mshome. When I click workgroup, I see family(desktop) and sam(laptop) clicking on family works showing a bunch of printers and such (don't know why so many but that is a different subject) but when I click sam, it says no path found

Try enabling a share on Sam first. Usually it won't let you view it in My Network Place if there aren't any shares setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom