Wireless N slow connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Ok so in my server i have a Wireless N 300Mb Asus PCI-E 1x card. I have both stock antennas and the ***** that has the internet in this house has a Linksys (Cisco) N router which is literally not even 2 feet from my server (Both on the ground, nothing in the way). The connection speed under task manager says that its only 65Mb and everything is goin real slow. Even if hes playing 360 in the the other room the net at least is kinda quick. Ive noticed that when i load a page it takes forever then the speed boosts to 72Mb and it loads the page and goes back go 65Mb.

Now i know this thing can do 300Mb on the card cause its connected to my Netgear with 300. I know 300 is enabled on his router because my laptop (N as well) connects at 300. Ive checked power settings and anything i can think of to figure out why im not connecting at full speed.

Anybody have any ideas? I believe my net will be extremely slow unless i figure this out.

Almost made a new thread for a different problem, and then found i had made this thread and forgot about it.

New problem here.

So i think i got suckered into buying a piece of crap router 5 months ago or i just cant set this thing up for crap. Its supposed to be a 300Mb/s router and i have 2 N adapters both capable of 300 as i mentioned before. Other guy left with his Linksys so i figured id just use my own N router which is a Netgear WNR3500 V1. I have this thing setup to use WPA2 AES encryption, and 300Mb speeds. I find im stuck with slower speeds than advertised and after some Google im regretting not doing some research because it appears this router suffers severely from unenticing speeds. Anyways i have done a little netsh to make sure im on my own channel in the whole area. I have my laptops adapter (Intel 5100 AGN) setup to have max performance and no power saving when plugged in. Im connecting at between 214 and 300 but its sporadic and like our internet connection a speed roller coaster. My avg file transfer speeds is between 8MB-12MB/s which seems a little slow to me considering 300 is capable of up to 37.5MB/s (My server is conncted via gigabit with 7200rpm drives for storage which is what im copying files from). I know with wireless i knock that down a notch but considering i get 12MB/s on a 10/100 LAN i figured Wireless N would be at least 20MB/s-ish.

Well thats not even my main problem. When i tried doing a file transfer it got about 1/4 of the way done and the link disconnected. Now my laptops wireless wont even bring a network list up sometimes and when it does the list is about 6 SSID shy of whats out there including not showing my own router. I have tried a reboot, and disabling and re-enabling the adapter and it hasent helped. I have also tried taking my router off the auto connect list and still doesnt show. The wireless works on the router because ive connected to it via my PC as a test. Does anybody know what happened? Does anybody have an answer to my speed problem? In all the times ive played with DDWRT, Tomato, and various Linksys/D-Link routers ive never had any of these problems before.

Bit of info, laptop is running 7 Ultimate x64, latest drivers for adapter, and the router has latest firmware installed from Netgear.

Edit: Nvm i fixed the laptop network listing problem. Still would like to know why it did that though.

Didn't want to make a new thread concerning this piece of crap so decided to find my old thread.

Anyways I have this router still as my backbone (unfortunately) and have yet another problem with it. I have everything setup for certain devices to be open to the internet like my server and my Xbox. Matchmaking on Reach requires an open NAT so it doesn't take forever to find other players. My NAT is usually always open due to the things I do online. When I'm behind this particular router (with or without UPnP on) Halo always says my NAT is not open. I also seem to have a port forwarding problem as well with a program called DC++. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom