Wireless-N Laptop only gets 54.0mbps on Wireless-N Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Just got a new router and set it up yesterday. It's a Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus N router. My laptop is an HP Pavilion DV9700t with an Intel Wireless A/G/N card. When I connect to the router (set up with WEP), the laptop gets a great signal (4-5 bars throughout the house, much better than old router) but under Speed it says 54.0mbps. I set the router to use "Mixed" mode (I have wireless-b and wireless-g devices as well). Why won't my laptop get a faster connection?

WTF!?!?!

If I set the wireless security to either none or WPA, it works fine, but if I use WEP (most secure thing that I can use, due to devices that don't support WPA [*ahem* stupid Nintendo, make a WPA update for DS!]), it is capped to a lame 54mbps. Is there a way I can secure it while keeping it open for non-WPA devices? There's no point for router manufacturers to keep pushing this new WPA/WPA2 nonsense if it can't keep backwards compatibility, so there's no point using it either. I want my router to work with my PDA and DS, Wii and older laptop, and newer laptop, though since it's N I don't know why it won't run at N speeds on my new laptop.

wep just isn't safe. A simple google search will teach you how to hack it. it wasn't for wireless n. they are trying to phase it out

It doesn't matter how safe it is if devices can't connect to it. WPA isn't universal, WEP is. Now, the one device that doesn't support WPA (NDS) may be the only thing, but it doesn't support WPA. It looks like I'm going to have to run two routers, my main one in WPA and my old router in open mode if I ever want to play DS online. Right now I'm in my dorm and the router is set up WPA at home, so it's fine for now, I guess I'll just use my old router for my DS if I ever want to use it.

I know about all the hacks. WEP isn't a solid brick wall of security, but that's not really what I want anyways, I just wanted something simple to keep "ordinary" people out. There are plenty of open AP's near my house anyway, so the average person would go for that instead of hacking WEP. My point here is that they shouldn't introduce new, incompatible stuff just because it's safer than the old, universally accepted and supported stuff. They should make the new safer stuff backwards compatible with the existing stuff that people have so that people don't get stuck with insane incompatibilities like this.

It doesn't matter how safe it is if devices can't connect to it. WPA isn't universal, WEP is. Now, the one device that doesn't support WPA (NDS) may be the only thing, but it doesn't support WPA. It looks like I'm going to have to run two routers, my main one in WPA and my old router in open mode if I ever want to play DS online. Right now I'm in my dorm and the router is set up WPA at home, so it's fine for now, I guess I'll just use my old router for my DS if I ever want to use it.

I know about all the hacks. WEP isn't a solid brick wall of security, but that's not really what I want anyways, I just wanted something simple to keep "ordinary" people out. There are plenty of open AP's near my house anyway, so the average person would go for that instead of hacking WEP. My point here is that they shouldn't introduce new, incompatible stuff just because it's safer than the old, universally accepted and supported stuff. They should make the new safer stuff backwards compatible with the existing stuff that people have so that people don't get stuck with insane incompatibilities like this.

welcome to the new millennium. that's just the way thing work now. I now it's sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom