Wireless Link Using Ad Hoc USB Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahforbes

Beta member
Hi everyone. This is my first post in this forum, please forgive me for requesting before contributing. I'm just in a desperate search to see if an idea I have will work!

I want to set up a long WiFi link to share Internet access. It's only a block away but LOS will be impossible... trees and a couple houses are between the 2 locations. Also, after being inspired by this rather well-known website, I've decided to do it with USB sticks instead of dealing with yagi's and pigtails.

Obstacle number one: Getting a good enough signal... what do you think?

Obstacle number two: Establishing connectivity. Obviously home routers don't have USB ports, so location A (which has the Internet access and an existing wired network) will have to have a computer always on. At location B, there is actually just 1 computer, so there will be no routing issues.

Attached is a diagram of my proposed rig. It goes something like this: Comp#2 is part of Location A's ethernet network. The USB wireless adapter is plugged in, and is set to Ad Hoc mode. In Windows XP's Network Settings, I select the 2 network adaptors (ethernet + USB), right click and choose to bridge them together. Comp#3 at Location B sets their USB adaptor to Ad Hoc, and instantly has Internet access (provided Comp#2 is up and running).

Does this sound good? Perhaps there is a better way to accomplish it. I'm just hooked on the idea of USB sticks because of the simplicity involved in the parabolic antennas.

My apologies for the long post (at least you won't be with too little information) and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• adhoc.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom