Wireless laptop & wireless networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah

Beta member
Hi

I have just bought myself a new laptop (this being the one)
I bought a wireless modem yesterday as it was half price when buying a new computer but I failed to tell the guy in the store that I was on AOL BRoadband Silver :rolleyes: , so anyway I went back today as I thought I would need an adapater to go with it but when speaking to the guy he said that this particular modem wouldn't work with AOL Broadband plus you cannot share AOL between computers on the silver programme. He said the best thing to do was upgrade to Gold and buy a supported wireless modem from AOL themselves. I have just been having a look at what they support and there is a couple of them there but only 1 available to buy today which is this one the guy said at PC World said I don't need an adapter as I have already got one in the laptop. Also just looking at this wireless router it say's that my PC
must have a correctly-installed network card

I hope someone can help me as I am very new to all of this and I want to get AOL running on my laptop asap.

Many thank's

Sarah :D

Just seen that the PC World link doesn't work, hopefully this one does Samsung X30

If not this is what it is:

The X30 Series from Samsung offers the ultimate mobile computing experience. Performance is assured with Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, the latest Intel Centrino Mobile Technology which gives longer battery life and wireless networking for easy connection to office networks or public wireless hot spots. The real heart of the X30 Series is the bright and clear 15.4" widescreen displays, allowing you to work with multiple documents side-by-side or run the latest 3D applications using the nVidia GeForceFX 5200Go graphics processor. Fingerprint security allows you to replace multiple password with a single fingerprint or encrypt your documents for ultimate piece of mind. As well as long battery life the X30 includes an internal bridge battery, which allows the battery to be swapped with the notebook in standby and does not require a full shutdown. All this in a thin notebook that weight just 2.4Kg

hmmm, you should already have a modem for the aol broadband. Your laptop has a integrated wireless network card. You bought a wireless router.

You should be able to plug the network cable coming out of the modem into the wireless router; this cable should already connected to your pc that has inet access. Next, you must connect your laptop to the router. If your running xp, you may see a icon in your systray that looks like two comp monitors with radio waves coming out of it; it should have a red X also. Double click it, i think it'll bring up a wizard to find your wireless network. Click search for wireless networks; .... and pray. If one shows up, select it then click connect. You may have inet access at this point. If not then your router needs to be configured to access your AOL account.

Aaahhh right, I spoke to my cousin today who has done a bit of networking and he said all I need is a wireless router (I haven't got a wireless router, I got a router from AOL when I subcribed to their AOL Silver plan, the router being BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem). Thank's for your reply. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom