Wireless LAN problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncodu

Beta member
Ok, well I am having a very strange problem with my wireless card/wireless router. I have had both of them for about a year now and they work great, but starting about 2 weeks ago, my connection started getting very bad. Just at random moments my wireless card disconnects. Sometimes the internet will come back by itself, sometimes it takes 1 click on "reconnect" to get it back, and other times it takes about 15 clicks. I tried switching wireless cards, but the problem still occured. My brother is in the room next to me and he does not experience this problem. I even sat my computer down right next to the router and this still occured. I figured it might be a software issue, so i formatted my computer- only to find out it still happens. My desktop computer is right next to the router, so it doesnt have to be wireless, and it works great, only my laptop is experiencing this problem. I have a belkin wireless lan card with a belkin wireless router and im running windows XP professional.

thanks guys,
John

Might be a problem with the card itself. Does your brother have an card that you could borrow for a few minutes and install on your laptop? If he does, I would try that, and see if it still disconnects you.

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't see where you posted that you had already tried that.

It could be someone else around has recently installed a wireless network. If the AP's (Access Point) are on the same channel, you will get conflicts like the one you mentioned.

Try to change the channel that is being used to broadcast the wi-fi signal. The default channel is 6, try changing it to 8 or something.

Hey johncodu,

I agree with HoloCron about it possibly being another wireless
LAN conflicting with your. Download NetStumbler and start it
up and look for how many other Wireless LAN's it picks up using
the same channel as yours. http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=1&orderby=hitsD

If that doesn't help look on the manufacter website for an
updated driver for your wireless nic. The usually release updated
drivers on a fairly regular basis to fix bugs in the driver.

Good Luck.

Well Netstumbler only picked up 1 connection and that's mine. But it did prove valuable because it showed my connection as constantly flickering on and off. No new drivers are present, so once again, im left clueless.

Thanks anyways,
John

Netstumbler doesn't always see every available connection. At my house, because I don't have the Broadcast SSID option turned on, Netstumbler doesn't automatically see mine. I would try to change the channel anyways.

If I remember right, there is supposed to be 5 channels between for no interference. I would suggest either channel 1 or 11.

write this word (Prefetch) in "run" and delete all files my be acumulated caused this problem

Same Here!

I have just what you have. Do you have comcast internet and an 802.11b (11 MPS per second) router? if so, then you HAVE to go buy a new 802.11g (56 MPS per second) router. don't ask me. u could call comcast though and they'd tell you the same thing.
I'm gonnna get a new router today :)

ohhh ok that makes sense because my friend has comcast with an 802.11b and he is going through the same thing now.

Thanks a lot man,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom