Wireless issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
hop on one of your working machines, and open a command window. do an IPCONFIG /ALL command, and it should list the DNS servers you are using. Try setting the DNS IP's statically in the computer not working...

I tried listing the DNS servers in TCP/IP settings...no go.

I cleared it, set it back to "automatically detect.." On my nonworking laptop, I went to CMD window and typed "ipconfig /all" and it listed the 3 DNS servers that my working computer lists. I'm not really sure if that's significant or not.

Try this.... open a command window, and do:

tracert google.com

I am working on my off-day today, and my mind is completely fried here.... I didn't even get to finish my lunch, so I can't think of anything else at the moment... It SHOULD be working... perhaps LAW will have something to add if/when he sees this post.

The tracert on my laptop didn't work for "google.com" but worked fine with the google IP. The Tracert worked fine on my desktop.

Sorry they got you working so hard, but I appreciate the help.

Nah, thats ok. I am filling in for someone who had to take a day off when all of the 'available slots' were filled, so we traded days, no biggie...

I expected that google.com trace route to fail, but I would be interested to see a copy & paste or screen shot of the output to see how far it got before it failed. I would guess it failed after hitting your router's LAN IP address...

It turned out to be a problem with Norton...yeah, I don't feel terribly bright right now.

Hello bobby, got your message and Ethereal. The reason your trace route failed and your Internet connection not working properly is simply because you do not have a DNS server configured for your TCP/IP setting. That's it..You can manually enter the IP of the DNS server in the TCP/IP setting if DHCP can not obtain this from your DHCP server. Or you can check your router's DHCP setting to make sure that the DNS entry are correctly configured to be distributed to your clients.

EDIT**

Type this in at the same time, can you explain why Norton would interfere? Just curious. Seems odd but it happens. Is this Norton anti-virus or firewall?

The problem seems to be Norton Internet Security, which I'm guessing is the same as a Firewall. I have no clue why it would interfere, and have actually not figured it out so I've just had it disabled the past couple days. I will likely give Compaq a call soon and talk to them about it.

*Edit* as for what you said about DNS when I manually entered DNS Ip's under TCP/IP settings it did nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom