Wireless issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby182

Baseband Member
Ok, I hope this question isn't too broad.

I have a wireless setup at home with one desktop running as server, and a linksys wired/wireless router. Everything was working fine until I reinstalled XP on my laptop. Afterwards, I reconnected to the wireless network and internet worked fine for about 30 minutes. Then it stopped. I still connect perfectly fine to the wireless network, but my internet no longer works.

Sorry if I'm not specific enough with this, but ask any questions you think will help. Thanks.

have you tried moving the laptop right next to the router becasue sometimes you can only get a local connection if there is a weak signal. Also is the wireless card built in or is it a card. lastly have you tried reinstalling the drivers for your card?

The wireless card is built in. It's a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN.

I reinstalled and tried it closer to the router with no avail. Still says I'm connected, but no internet connection. :(

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure that the laptop is connecting to the correct wireless rotuer??

Try pining your server from the laptop. Also, trying pinging a webpage from the laptop.

Can you ping Google's IP address?

Try pinging 72.14.207.99.... If that works, it is a DNS issue... Also, try pulling 72.14.207.99 up in your web browser.

Ah Dragon you're awesome. I was able to ping that IP. I'm not actually sure how to resolve the DNS issue but I will start taking a look at it. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

But thanks very much for the help :D

Hmm under my linksys admin page there are no DNS servers listed. Both my computer and the server computer have "automatically detect..." selected for IP addresses and DNS addresses.

The linksys page says DNS servers can be obtained from IP provider...but I can't seem to find that info. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom