Wireless issue on Toshiba A105-S2031

Status
Not open for further replies.

nesman90

Beta member
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to get wireless working on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2031 laptop. I initially tried the internal card and using the wireless program it came with, it could find a signal and claim to be connected, yet no Internet. I then put a Linksys USB wireless adapter in there and downloaded the latest drivers. It did the same thing and no Internet using the Linksys program. The wireless point I am connecting to is the one where I work and it connects fine on other PC's using the same WEP key I used for the Toshiba laptop.

Also note that the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility does not show up in the system tray like it normally does. I'm not sure what the person did to the laptop but I have to go into network connections to open up that wireless configuration utility and you guessed it... It does the same thing as the other wireless utilities.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... Reloading XP is not an option right now unfortunately.... Thanks.

You may need to manually enter the WEP information. Within the WEP you can choose certain keys to be the correct key. Manually configure the wireless connection and choose the correct key. If you just double click the signal and enter the WEP password into the text box, it will assume Key 1 is the correct key, when in fact it could be a different one.

Since you see wireles signals and are connecting (unsuccessfully all be it) this isn't a driver issue and you've install the hardware and software correctly. I believe it is a security issue.

IMO you should just use windows wireless, from what i've worked with it is much easier to configure and more 'universal' - as Dell's or Sony's utility are different from other manf. Sometimes you can just right click the utility in the system and chose to use windows Zero utility (i think that is the name of it).

Are you the network administrator at your work? Or work for the IT department? If not you proably don't have permission to add another end user machine. They may be using mac address filtering.

Thanks for the responses... I have made some progress... I'm a technician working on someone's laptop and trying to get the wireless configured properly. The wireless network here doesn't really restrict the user as long as you enter the right WEP key. I decided to uninstall all the Linksys stuff and the utility pertaining to the original wireless card. I'm still unsure why the Windows Zero Config Utility isn't in the system tray like normal (all the boxes that should be checked are), but I did open it from the Network Connections.

I then double clicked on our network here and put in the WEP key. Now from the GUI it "looks" like it is connected but it actually says "not connected"; however I can load up IE and it connects to the Internet with no problem.

So it appears the wireless IS working correctly but I'm still concerned there has to be an issue somewhere for it to be reporting "not connecting" when in reality it is connected fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom