wireless internet on Suse Linux 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunvic

Beta member
Hi, I'm new in linux, and I'm trying to establish internet connection
on my Suse Linux 9.1
I have dual boot (WinXP & Linux) and I have internet connection on
WinXP (PPPoE) via wireless card MSI PC54G2.
I want to configure Linux for wireless internet, but I don't know where (how) to start... Please someone help me to get online with Suse!
Thank you!!!!!

check SuSE's website weather its supporting the Wi-Fi card you installed into your machine.

as if it does, then have you installed the WI-FI card after you installed the Linux?? as if yes, then you have to once again use the Linux's cd to install the drivers for the card (this is all based on assumption that 9.1 is supporting the card).

once you have your card installed, DHCP assignment is by router automatically, so it will pick up your wireless internet signal itself.

HI, I downloaded yesterday the ralink driver RT 2500-linux-STA 1.4.3.0, and I tried to install it ( after I had read the instructions, of course ), but Suse returned the message :

"
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.111.5'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.111.5/Module.symvers is missing, modules will have CONFIG_MODVERSIONS disabled.

scripts/Makefile.build:13: /root/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/root/Makefile'. Stop.
make: *** [_module_/root] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.111.5'
"
As I told, I'm new in Linux, I don't know what this suppose to mean...

Sorry for my horrify english, and thank you very much!

hmm, what u can do is, install the wireless card, and insert the SuSE cd, and repair it. it will detect the drivers itself.

this is bad thing in linux that it shows problems as when a hardware is installed afterwards
thts y its always recommended that to install everythiing prior to install Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom