Wireless Internet Access keeps dying on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilez

Beta member
Hello,
Many people have been unable to solve this one because I am running a wireless network to my Windows laptop, via my Windows desktop with an Apple Airport Extreme Base station (I used to have a powerbook but had to sell it coz I was broke! :eek:( ).

My wireless internet access works fine usually - I can run around the house getting a nice strong signal. However, every now and then, and slightly more in the evenings than daytimes, either:

a). The internet cuts out, with the network connection seemingly fine. Can;t send receive emails or get onto any sites, but my computer still shows the connection as working.

or

b). the network disappears - my wireless network card can't find any networks in the area.

What is strange is that (a) happens about 10 times more often than (b). The problem is NOT due to distance, as it just occured with my laptop about 3 centremetres away from the base station! I have tried lots of different software tweaks, but it makes no difference.

I can usually temporarily solve the problem by either:

a). unplugging the Airport Extreme Base Station and plugging back in again.

b). unplugging the Airport Extreme Base Station and plugging back in again AND turning the broadband internet connection OFF and ON.

Although I can't work out wether its due to the Base station, the internet connection, the power supply or software.

The problem started a couple of weeks after moving house, a few days after I got broadband working in the new property. I was using exactly the same hardware setup as my old house.

ANY IDEAS?!?!?!?!?

(let me know if this one should be on the MAc section!)

:eek:)

First thing to do is find out where the problem is. When you lose connection, does your windows desktop go down as well? Can you ping your desktop from your laptop? Can you ping "www.yahoo.com" from either your desktop or laptop? I'm not very familiar with an Airport Extreme Base Station but have you applied any software updates available to it?

Well, when I lose the connection, the desktop is fine, and the internet connection is A1. You can ping the laptop from the desktop as well, and obviously yahoo.com. However, despite the wireless network connection being 'active', you cannot ping the desktop or anything else from the laptop!

Strange.

Oh, and the Base station does have up-to-date firmware.

I had that problem when I was on a LAN.. it has something to do with the connections refresh, meaning it checking on its connection and refreshing it more than what it may be set to.. I forget how to adjust it... You can search for it, I found the answer online..according to your OS etc...Ill look thogh

Hi,
It's been a while - did you find out? Have tried googling for 'connection refreshing' without success. Do you remember anymore details?

:eek:)

First I want you to go to http://www.speedguide.net/
In the shortcuts on the left hand side of the webpage click on TCP/IP Optimizer. Once your on the next page read where it says SpeedGuide Programs and skim down until you see where it says "The legacy version 1 of the Optimizer is still downloadable from -here-." Click on -here-
The other versions are complicated and this does the same thing but does it for you. This Tcp/Ip Optimizer is one of the best out there and on top of that ITS FREE!!! Save this program to your desktop. When you open this download up hit run and when the program opens on the settings tab choose your current connection(dsl) than on the bottom bubble in "optimal settings" This will hopefully adjust your TCP Recieve Window. Than click on the Other Settings Tab and once again bubble in the Optimal Settings choice. Than go to the MaxMTU, Latency (ping), and Registry tabs and click the bubble for Optimal Settings for the last three tabs. Once you do this go back to the settings tab and click on apply changes at the bottom, the program will tell you that in order for the changes to take affect you need to restart your computer, do so.

I am going to look some more for you if this doesnt work ok. In the mean time since you moved I want you to also look at where your computer is set up. Make sure that your router is not next to an enclosed area try to move it around and increase your chances of a better signal. Dont keep the router close to walls or in a tight spot try to place it somewhere off the ground and in an open area. Use the program i gave you above.

You can also go to toolbar:START:ControlPanel:Network&INternetConnections: NetworkConnections: right click on your connection select properties, than click on the authentication tab and check to see if "enable IEEE 802.11x authentication for this network" is checked or not, experiment with it ; if it is already checked try to uncheck it and see how it works, ; if it is not checked than check it and see how it works make sure that you look at the EAP type: and select the network card that your are useing than click ok. write me back if you have trouble here if not follow the steps and see what happens, remember the more walls the lan has to pass through the more difficult for a connection, so keep the router away from walls and your main desktop away from walls too or enclosed areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom