wireless home network: 2 pcs & an xbox? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default wireless home network: 2 pcs & an xbox?

Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

There are a few key items that will be needed to have a fully functional wireless network.

ISP Modem (DSL or Cable Modem)
Wireless Router
Wireless NIC
LOTS of Patience....

You will want to setup your Wireless Router with your ISP assigned user name and password. That router will authenticate with the ISP automatically, this means that you won't need any special software to use the internet connection.

As far as your X-Box is concerned, once you purchase a wireless adaptor and install it, it should find the network and auto-config itsef for usage.

Its not really complicated but.... there is always something that will test your patience. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

First and foremost, you'll need a wireless router. I'd suggest 802.11g since your Asus network card is 802.11G compatible (G = 54MBps as compared to B = 11MBps - much faster), so something like this would work great for you.

Next, you will need a wireless adapter for the XBox. You can get them from the same link I posted above for around $85. Here's the link.

Also, regardless of what type of network card the other PC uses, it'll be compatible with the 802.11G router as G is backward-compatible with B.
We need your help!
AdvancedGeeks.com requires knowledgable mods and users to help handle a variety of tasks. PM me for more info.
Closed Thread