Wireless help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles

Solid State Member
I recently bought a laptop that is WIFI equiped. I also bought a wireless router. I have set everything up. The laptop sees the signal and connects but I can not access the internet through it. I am able to access the net through unsecure wifi hot spots but not through my own net? Any suggestions. Diags seem to think I need to check with my net admin . That would be me with out a clue.
All help appreciated

Ok looking at this IC a line that ses IP routing enabled no?

Is that what I am looking for? If son how do I enable?

No, you don't have to worry about that IP routing line.... I was just wondering if you are recieving an IP address from the router.

Are you getting 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x as an IP address?

There is a line that reads Auto configuration IP address 169. etc. Is that it? Also the laptop tells me that this connection has limited or no connectivity? Same Internet I'm using on my desk top Comcast cable?

That 169.x.x.x address means that you are not recieving an address from a DHCP server, so windows automatically assigns an IP address in the 169.x.x.x range. Double & triple check that you are properly configured to connect to your router... (make sure passwords & keys are correct). If you can see the SSID of the router, but not get an address, it could be cause the password or WEP key is incorrect.

When I click on the net it as me for password. I use it and get the connection ok. But no access to the internet. I thought the IP might be wrong. as the router assigns 50 addresses but no where near than address. I just need to resolve the whole thing. It is getting frustrating. Maybe tomorrow. I really appreciate your taking time to help. They shouldn't let retired guys mess with these things. LOL

go to control panel > network connections

right clck on your wireless network connection

go to properties

click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

click properties

click "use the following IP address"

in the address, put in 192.168.0.X (probabbly make X something between 100 and 200)

put in 255.255.255.0 in the subnet mask

in "preferred DNS server" type 192.168.0.1

doing this means you have manually assigned an IP address in the same range as your router.

Ok now that I am done with the tax man I can get on with something else I should not be doing on my own. Thanks for everything so far guys. I'll give a progress or lack thereof report after the fight this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom