Wireless Heat Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom8151

Baseband Member
I did a quick search, but could not find anything right off the bat about this. Does anyone know of any good free programs that one could make a wireless heat map off of?

This is for a work project. There are plenty of great solutions, but they are expensive and we won't be purchasing them. I found one, but its for linux, and you need to know some Python to make it work properly.

Please, anyone, help!

How big is the area that you want to cover?
Approx how many wi-fi points are you covering?

There is really any way around actually drawing an outline or "map" of your building is there? So, you may as well start at that point. Draw a building outline base and then draw another one for coverages. You can use a tool like this in the evaluation period. Or another like NetStumbler. Then plot your coverage areas and use your plot points and translate it to a nice color map from fading red to green. Might take a little work, but I don't know of any FREE software that will:

1) Draw your building or area in question for you
AND
2) Plot out your WAPs
AND
3) measure signal strength to the meter
AND
etc etc

You can get the job done with a combination of free tools and walking around a little bit though :)

Using AirSnort or Dump isn't a bad idea. I know which one you are referring to and the developer says it's buggy anyway. Besides, he used GIMP to make the diagram anyway. All you need to do is combine a few free tools and then some math. Could be a little fun :)

Thank you for the link to wirelessmon. That is a great little program. Cheap too, and it is basically what I need to do this.

The commercial software for this sort of stuff is expensive. $500 and more.

Thats way too expensive for a software package that wont do everything you need to do anyway :) The most you will get is a signal read with some fancy layout. In the end you would have to layer it on a map too. Going to take a little bit of legwork but it looks like it would be a fun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom