Wireless-G Range Expander

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbrze

In Runtime
I bought a 2.4 GHz Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander for $100 from Best Buy for our wireless router. Any ideas if this thing really works well? Is there a way I can test our current wireless connection on our laptop before I install it then test again after I install it to see how much better our connection performs? Our current router is in the basement and we get a slow connection on the main level and even slower upstairs. Would buying a better wireless router & USB plug & play repeater have been a better idea? Thanks & Merry X-mas!

You pretty much answered your own question. Yes, test it pre and post... You can do this at a speed test site, but ultimately, you are going to see differences in your local LAN more-so than your external connection. Just visually confirm a stronger signal. A signal is a series of bars but it's actually built up on a series of variables that include strength and integrity... among other things.
Wireless transmissions are no different than wired. Sometimes people lose this concept somehow. They transmit almost identical when it comes down to the raw data. So, If I had a server to client connection that was 310ft away with 1 solid CAT5e cable and the same server/client setup with the same CAT5e cable at the same distance... but only a hub or switch in the middle of that connection... the second connection, or signal coming across the cable would be stronger and faster. Therefore it would build the packet back up to where the application could read it faster... (or whatever it was intended for)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom