is wireless FREE??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know it isn't technically illegal to walk into someones house, as long as you don't break an entry, steal anything and leave when asked to first time.

mBernhardt, you are an idiot letting people have your internet (putting it blunlty and no harm offense intended.) You also need a buisness ISP account technically too. Secure your internet or use wires.

I must say I'm intrigued by the reaction to my "wireless for the people" experiment.

I am not charging people for using my spare bandwidth. So there is no profit to be made.

It's all masked behind NAT so as far as my ISP is concerned there's a single connection.

My personal PC's are secured on their own subnet and are all hardwired, so there's limited risk of them being compromised.

To illustrate it, I've got an old PC with 3 NICs in it running monowall. (live cd firewall) Labelled as such, WAN, LAN and LAN2.

WAN is just that.

LAN is my person space: 172.16.10.0/24

LAN2 is my wireless router running simply as an access point: 192.168.0.0/24

Access to 192.168.0.1 (the router) is blocked at port 80, so the router configuration is inaccessible from the "open" network.

Access is also blocked from LAN2 => LAN so my personal network is secured at that.

I've also set up traffic shaping (QoS) to give higher priority to my own traffic in addition to giving P2P traffic the absolute lowest priority.

Additionally I am logging all DHCP leases on both sides so I have the MAC address (and initial connection time) of anyone accessing anything through my network. If I put forth just a little more effort I could set up a proxy so I know what people are accessing as well.

Tyler1989 said:
Very true. On the messenger issues I frequently am logged on and off automatically due to an unsteady connection.

I disagree. Maybe if you're using wiress at a cafe like starbucks or something, but if you have a home network (like me) and your connection is unstable, I would suggest getting some new hardware. My wireless is very stable just using a simple linksys router and Wireless G Network Adapter. The two are 2 floors apart and on opposite ends of my house. Only trouble I've had is when I picked up my neighbors signal across the street and it tried switching connections.

I <3 wireless :)

lol its not illegal for an adult to talk to a child anymore. any preditor can say anything that they want to any minor, use any words depicting anything and not be in trouble once so ever. now if they send any pics then there in trouble. i saw this on the news, I think that this should be illegal for an adult to talk sexualy to a minor but naturally the gov doesnt. they make things that should be legal illegal and things that should be illegal legal... thats sad. btw i would keep using the net for a few days (untill u get urs ) and then tell them after u get net :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom