Wireless/Explorer/Winsock problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper01

Beta member
I have been using a wireless connection and recently i have noticed that even when my wireless adapter shows a connection explorer reads "Page cannot be displayed"

I have read alot about this and have been trying to fix this problem so i am hoping maybe someone will know a different solution to this other than what i have tried...

I ran the windows diagnostic test to check the connectivity and i get the following message: "Windows has detected a problem with the winsock provider catalog on this computer. This catalog allows programs to communicate with this computer across the network. Would you like windows to reset the catalog to the default configurations?"

I clicked yes and restarted my pc as asked but i still recieved the same "Page cannot be displayed" message and when running the diagnostic test again i was told the exact same thing... almost as if the catalog was never reset. Also i have tried using command netsh winsock reset then restarting but i continued to get the page cannot be displayed error. Lastly i have tried using command to ping Google and i got the request timed out message.

I have turned off my firewall aswell.... I guess what i am wondering is if winsock may be permanently destroyed or if there is some other way to try and fix it. Also i wanted to know if winsock even is the real reason i cannot connect to the internet. My only problem here is that i have a fully working wireless adapter and it even shows connection yet when i try explorer or any other program that uses internet i don't recieve a connection.

I was previously using a Buffalo wireless adapter and switched to a NETGEAR adapter which i thought may fix the problem but it did not. If anyone has any idea what steps i might need to take to fix this or knows what may be causing this please let me know.

Another problem for me with this is that i am unable to download any fix it tools etc for this because i need internet to do so.... and incase you are wondering i am writing this from a seperate pc.

So if any one knows any solutions that i could use from my desktop without needing internet please let me know. Thanks and sorry for the long post :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom