wireless explained please

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbp

Baseband Member
Hello
Have just purchased laptop for husband. Virgin have sent me a wireless router, so far so good I thought, but have since gathered that my modem is wired and I need an extra ethernet cable to connect to modem and computer to enable use of laptop. The concept of wired/wireless is new to me and didn't find the staff at Curries this am seemed any wiser. Virgin have posted the extra ethernet cable to me (hopefully) and should manage to set up the thing.
My question is simple, could someone explain the wired/wireless thing to me in simple language and what proportion of users have wireless facilities.
Thanks Barb:confused:

I'm not entirely sure how basic an explanation you're after so I'll do as basic as I can :)

Wired means that the connection uses wires to transfer data, primarily using ethernet (CAT5) cables. Wireless connections use radio signals to transfer data.

Is the device they sent you both a router and a modem? Or just a router? Did they provide any instructions whatsoever on how to connect things? The type of equipment you have determines how it needs to be connected.

I'm confused as well. But...

You will need a wired cable to connect to your router so that you can configure the wireless connection. Once you configure that you won't need that cable anymore because you should be able to connect to your internet wirelessly.

So the setup would go...

Internet--->Modem--->Router - - - - laptop

Lines with arrows represent cables, the other one represents the wireless connection.

I'd say 90+% of laptop users have wireless.

Me, I have 1 desktop pluged in by a cabled into my router, which is plugged into my modem. My lzaptop and other desktop are running wireless.

The wireless runs exactl like cordless phones. The router being the base, and the computer being the phones.

Its quite simple, once you find a good read on how to set it up.

As I don't know what kind of internet, cable line or phone line, Virgin is, I can't help you much more.

I'd say 90+% of laptop users have wireless.

Me, I have 1 desktop pluged in by a cabled into my router, which is plugged into my modem. My lzaptop and other desktop are running wireless.

The wireless runs exactl like cordless phones. The router being the base, and the computer being the phones.

Its quite simple, once you find a good read on how to set it up.

As I don't know what kind of internet, cable line or phone line, Virgin is, I can't help you much more.

Thanks You have helped a lot. The fog is lifting. i have a modem on cable and attached to desktop comp by cable. The router sent seems to assume I have a wireless modem? and I now await an ethernet cable which is to go from modem to computer.
Hence (router....ethernet....modem.) (modem.....ethernet....computer)
I was puzzled because I thought everyone's modem was wired. Why did my internet supplier think otherwise. They had installed the system. The laptop works, we tested at a friends Christmas day. Presume the family had routers in place.
Thanks again
Barb

Is the device they sent you both a router and a modem? Or just a router? Did they provide any instructions whatsoever on how to connect things? The type of equipment you have determines how it needs to be connected.

Here in the UK most DSL providers will send you a modem/router ie 1 RJ11 for the Internet and usually 4 RJ45s for the LAN (think I got that right) sometimes this device is wireless as well.

I believe Virgin offer both DSL and cable service so that is the first thing to determine.

I think the best thing to do is give the model number and brand of both the modem and router.

They may have sent you a modem with built in router, which would make things extrmely easy.

So get back to us with that and we can go from there.

I think the best thing to do is give the model number and brand of both the modem and router.

They may have sent you a modem with built in router, which would make things extrmely easy.

So get back to us with that and we can go from there.

Says on the modem 'cable modem' . The cable comes from outside (street) through the walls and connects with modem which is then connected to computer. The router is a 'Netgear'. I now await a further ethernet cable which hopefully will arrive today. Think I know how it all works now. If I get probs I'll be back here.
Thanks Barb

Check the website of your isp as they will have a walkthrough for setting up your router to use with your cable modem. Most likely you will just need to do a mac address clone, set up encryption and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom