Wireless does not have good range

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I hooked up a wireless D-link 524 kit for a friend. It says the indoor range is 328 ft. I have the other computer about 40 feet and it says the signal is from low to good but most of the time low. The antenna I am using for the other computer is a dwl usb antenna. I have it hooked up via a usb cable extension. The range is also stated at 328. I know that is only at ideal conditions but 40 ft should rate at least very good shouldn't it? What can I do?

Try restarting the D-Link. After that try disabling the connection on the PC for a second. Then enable it again. Maybe it will make a stronger link.

GL.

Yeah. Also I found that moving things around slightly can help too. Judge how many walls and what type of walls and floors (e.g. brick, wood) the signal must go through and put the router in the best place.

The antenna on the receiving computer sits about over 5' high. The router about 4'. It has one wall between with a 3' wide door opening. Not direct line of site but offset about 5'. The wall is just sheet rock. Nothing extraordinary that I know of.

Range is a subjective term. Brick walls affect greatly, foil insulation in walls, also affects greatly.

It also depends on the the type of antanna's you have at both ends. PC cards are not very good, while build in wireless in Laptops are much better.

Example: I have D-Link DSL 604T wireless, two Laptops, One with a PC card, One with Built in WI-FI.

Three Walls Brick walls, 25 metres, full strenght power for the built in WI-FI PC. and most likely to go up to over 100 metres

While the PC card laptop constanty drops the connection.

Solution, move the Access point too a central position. Or get a better antanna for the access point.

Some Access points ( most ) allow you to change the power output of the access point, as a pecentage of full power, try changing, it might fix the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom